Help with the Magic Layers Blender pluin

-I am using the Blender Renderer.

I am using magiclayer03.py.

-I use <+> to add a new magic layer, then I select my Object with the <rmb> right mouse button.
Then I select the Magic Layer text name from the list, and click the <green tick> to set my selected
object to that layer.

-I have tried selecting each magic layer text name and then clicking the camera, and the black check, for each magic layer, in an attempt to enable all my magic layers.

-Beyond this point I have problems. I press the <Animation Render> button, and Blender only tells me that “all render layers are disabled”, with me having disabled the initial, defaulting render layer for the old render layers’ system.

How do I fix this situation so that I can standard (image render) and animation render with magic layers?

Attachments

Magic Layers - Animation.blend (1.05 MB)

-I’ve been struggling to get a blender layers add-on to get enabled and to run in rendering properly.
I’ve also had problems getting replies. Can someone reply to me here who can
help me with a layers add-on so I can pose my problem from there, please?

could you please post you issue?

MODERATION
Threads merged

-I am using the Blender Renderer.

I am using magiclayer03.py.

-I use <+> to add a new magic layer, then I select my Object with the <rmb> right mouse button.
Then I select the Magic Layer text name from the list, and click the <green tick> to set my selected
object to that layer.

-I have tried selecting each magic layer text name and then clicking the camera, and the black check, for each magic layer, in an attempt to enable all my magic layers.

-Beyond this point I have problems. I press the <Animation Render> button, and Blender only tells me that “all render layers are disabled”, with me having disabled the initial, defaulting render layer for the old render layers’ system.

How do I fix this situation so that I can standard (image render) and animation render with magic layers?

[ATTACH]466579[/ATTACH]

That “Magic Layers” script is almost 5 years old now, the last word from its developer was in October 2012. I think it’s safe to say that this addon has been abandoned…

Trying to get this to run flawlessly in current Blender is an exercise in futility - and frankly, I am surprised that it works at all. So, either you use this with the ancient Blender version it was intended for or you ask yourself if you really need the functionality of that addon.

Okay. I need a layers addon which does two things.

-An addon which removes the maximum number of layers permitted from 20 to indefinite (infinity).

-A layers system which allows for automatic stacking of coincident planes in a movement order
consistent way.

Are these things possible? Can I have a link to the more appropriate addon for the latest stable
version of Blender, please?

Are you thinking of layers as in 2D graphics software? With layers having a spatial relationship in the sense that one layer is on top or below another one and thereby establishes a drawing hierarchy?

I have a feeling that this is neither possible, nor desirable in a 3D software package - and BTW, not even MagicLayers offers that AFAIK… The spatial relationship of objects in 3D software is determined by their position in 3D space, not by their affiliation to a certain layer. Co-planar geometry therefore will always be prone to cause issues.

Are you thinking of layers as in 2D graphics software? With layers having a spatial relationship in the sense that one layer is on top or below another one and thereby establishes a drawing hierarchy?

-Almost, except I want a 3D drawing hierarchy for these planes which includes proper consideration for partial or full coincidence, or even through intersection.

-I really do require an addon for this, since with my modelling I can’t use decimal amounts to stack planes
of miniscule thickness. My attached example here illustrates I am trying to simulate paper folding. However,
I wish to virtualise paper thickness to be precisely zero, so as to allow for a truly infinite number of paper folds. I have found that marked freestyle line edge detection doesn’t detect and draw as I need. That is, I need consideration for planes which are moved over other planes later as covering planes, but at any shaped geometry.

-This kind of virtualisation strikes me as the very thing a quality 3d package might want to have. I’m not quite
in a position to author my own addon. What can I do?

-I’m trying to find an addon that can do some [freestyle edge marked plane] stacking; particularly if the planes
are numerically coincident. Along with perhaps the ability to detect marked freestyle marked edge cutoffs
consistently, too. Is there someone who can help me with such an add-on, or perhaps start one?

-I am looking for a way to enhance the freestyle edge mark detection issues that I’m having, or find a way to have an infinite number of layers (beyond the maximum of 20), so that I can have edges of multiple planes’ freestyle edges consistently detected, displayed and cut off, in terms of later planes freestyle edges as well, (at plane 2d coincidence) unless a plane that is moved into plane 2d coincidence later (via key framing), partly or entirely has a freestyle edge which bisects, in 3d, the earlier edge(s).

-In the end, this may require a (generic) script. Is there anyone there who would be able to do one form me,
to reference any number of planes, for me?

-Or a script which will allow substitution using NURBS surfaces types too?

Have a look at my animation and see what I would be trying to describe.

Animation.blend (1.01 MB)

This just came out and is really good. I’m not sure if this what you were looking for since you mentioned layers in edit mode…

[Delete this one post.]

-I can’t use this addon, having learned so by an email correspondence with
the author of that plugin.

I need a script that will

-Successfully “paper stack” (at a true zero arithmetic offset),
a group of Objects, be they comprised of any Vertices, Direct Line Edges,
NURBS Curves, Mesh Planes, or NURBS Surfaces, with reference to priority
(a layers System comprised of infinitely many layers) and subsequent movement
Order (if specified arithmetically by Blender, or via Key Frame interpolated movement
during Animation, or via Node compositing.

This stacking will allow for consistent covering, revealing, and any intersections of those
Objects.

This is an animation style feature, required for virtualisation of a 3D model, to begin
to entertain a surface or relevant at true zero thickness.

-Having achieved the first, it also needs to include consistent, later inclusion
of outmost-visible Marked Freestyle Line Edges, when visible from any
number of eligible Lamps and Cameras, by means of Vector casting
from Cameras if necessary, withstanding acute angle viewing.

Is there someone on the blenderartsists forum who can start this process,
even at my behest?