Gertrudes

I am working on a character from start to finish. I already modelled it, painted, created the material and now I just finished the rig. I am creating a few animations with it, making sure that everything works perfectly, then I will release it to anyone that wants to use it.

In a quick glance, the anatomy and posing look off to me.

First of all, her torso is way too long in comparison to her short legs, giving her a weasel-like built frame, which I assume you weren’t intending to aim for. Shorten the torso, lengthen the legs a bit, possibly study up more on anatomical proportions. Yes, I realize that this is cartoonish, but even cartoons still have to follow some anatomical guidelines in order to retain some realism while exaggerating other specifically chosen features to give some style.

Some of her deformations shown through her poses look unnatural, like for example the bulge sticking out from her armpit in the far right picture and the crooked double jointed left arm in the far left picture. Perhap a closer examination of the weight painting can fix a few of these issues and adjusting of topology and bone placement might fix the rest.

The pose itself looks too stiff and artificial. There isn’t much of a natural style or flow or meaning to these poses. Relax some of the limbs like that completely straightened arm in the middle pic (might be bent, but doesn’t matter as it still looks completely straight if you place the camera in an angle that views it straight on) and the upper torso that is completely perpendicular and upright from the ground in the right pose. In fact, the pose on the right does almost nothing for me. The left and middle convey some sort of character and emotion through a more dynamic stance, but the third one looks too contorted and posed.

Color and shading look too “rough” in some areas, like the gradient transition between green and yellow on the shirt. It would be a great start, but it still needs a little more work done imo.

Thanks, man. I will take in consideration, try to get it better. It helps a lot.

[ Original Reply has been Edited ]

I adjusted the character a bit. And made a walk cycle.
I am working on the face expressions now. Soon to be more.

[ Original Reply has been Edited ]

Thanks, man.
I being a bit away from the production aspect, but I am being trying to un-rust myself for a while now. You should do the same.

Now I re-worked the facial rig on this last few weeks.
I would love to hear some commentary.

I have finished the first version of the rig. Hope to get feedback, thanks guys.

http://www.ldportifolio.com.br/?p=493