Liz

Guess it’s done:

Available on Blendswap

I meant to use it in something like an animation but she’s not that interesting of a character. It’s been a great project, I learned a lot about sculpting, texturing and the overall process of making a character. I look forward to making a bit more imaginative characters now that I’ve got the basics down.
***Original post:
I’m currently working on a female face and the textures are almost finished. I remembered my first ever face model from 2013 (the same year I joined blenderartists! :D). I thought it’d be interesting to compare them side-by-side. I still have a long way to go but I learned a lot over the four years of Blender.

Few words for the head on the right:

• Never mind the ears, still working on the texture :o
  • Eyes half closed as an experiment to see if it reduces texture and geometry stretching. I’ll see when I get to rig the model.
  • Screenshot is taken from viewport, everything runs real-time (so far). Materials are purely GLSL, no SSS or anything. If I’ll ever need more demanding effects, I’ll still just probably stick to BI. Cycles are too high tech for me.

Hope you’re getting better at Blender every day as well. Cheers.

Attachments

1 Like

-added 1 extra normal map and one specular map for very fine detail.
-added diffuse ramp overlay (model edges are now a tiny bit brighter)
-finished main diffuse texture
-changed eyeball AO texture a bit

Now for hair. I’ve never done hair before though. I’ll definitely go for a hair mesh. I find particle hair really not that appealing even when “the pros” use it. And I prefer everything real-time.

It’s not really that accurate a comparison as both models were created with different styles, one NPR and one realistic. It’s like comparing apples and oranges. Still, nice work though, and I can see some improvement in the newer model.

You’re right. I guess I meant to compare the techniques I used to create those models. Four years ago I didn’t know what sculpting was, nor did I understand why would you need a good facial topology, and the only texture I worked on was the diffuse one.
And thanks.

Btw I made a video. I show all the previous sculpt version, texture layers and topology.

I think that your technique is better, but I think that your model can improve a lot with a little effort in the anatomy and the references front, it has a lot of common anatomy mistakes. But since you don’t seem to be looking for help in that front, I won’t go in details, but if you are interested let me know.

I’m definitely interested. You seem to be an expert on this matter… :slight_smile:
I only noticed the eye’s iris is way too big, and also that the eye reflections are a bit too intense.
But I can’t tell what’s wrong with the anatomy. And what do you mean by references?

Well, I’m learning, so no expert here, just a passionate student!
Lets see, if you used references of real humans for your work, you can see:
The shape and the dimensions of the ear are of, a lot. The shape of the eye, in the curves the eyelids make are of to (you have to think in lines, not curves, and then make them subtle), also because of the dimensions of the eyes, she looks more like a he, also the chin is to big, and make here masculine. The shape of the skull, is of, you can see it in the line of the face, is to round, like if she is a balloon and has no attachment to the skull, you can tell she has not cheeks, and the cigomatic bone is no where to be found. Te lips, mouth muscles, and nose can be improve to. Just use references, and look at for example a Andrew Loomis book, for human proportions and shapes, that will give you a generic view, you can break that by following a references and you will see immediately that your work improves a lot.

You can see all of this in this loomis drawings:

Just remember those are generic, you can do other things, but keep using references until… well, using references is good for everyone.

And please look at This: Rafael Souza free clases
It is in Portuguese, but you will learn a lot! (he is the mestre of the course I’m doing)

Thanks a lot Tonatiuh. I’ll be sure to post when I make some changes.

I worked on the anatomy for a while now and I’m happy with it. The head isn’t typically feminine from an anatomical perspective but I have a real person as a reference and the current state is pretty decent in terms of resemblance.

Some flattering shots right there. Added a beanie because my first hair attempts failed terribly. I’m not giving up, but god damn hair is really really hard. Both balancing the hair mesh density and the ratio between hand-painted/realistic texture.

I probably won’t post here anymore. Once I finish the hair work, I’ll create a body, rig it, make some animation with it and post it as a finished project. That’s a process I’m fairly familiar with. Creating a decent looking face was the real challenge for me.

Thanks everyone for feedback.

I didn’t mean to post here anymore, but I did some work today, and I really like it. It’s like the first proper full-body decent looking female sculpt that I’ve done. And I love it. Sculpting is so much fun!
Got most of the body. Only hands and shoes are left to do. I had to split all of the major parts into separate objects because my laptop was slowing down. It doesn’t like working with 400 000+ triangles at once.

Can’t wait to do the texturing.

Did bunch of changes. Lot of proportional changes, bust size, chest, arms, and occasionally sculpt detail.

After a week or so and a failed exam (mainly because of this project), we’re all baked and stitched up. Still running real time on BI node materials.
I can’t tell if the final result will look anything good. If you see any “obvious” mistakes regarding scaling or proportions, please tell me. I can’t tell if anything’s wrong because without hair everything just looks a bit off to me.

***To do:

• Clothes texturing
  • Hair
  • Rig

Texturing mostly done. I don’t really know where to take the clothes texturing next. Keep in mind that everything is colorable so far.

I also experimented with some accessories and cloth physics.

Different colors…
Other minor details (not visible from this distance): Lips, Nails, eyeball reflections, AO painting, NRM issues, Cloth texturing… It looks the same, but it’s a bit cleaner overall.

I ditched about 10 obsolete texture images and noticed that the total files size including textures now is about 80Mb for some reason. I’d like to get it under 30. I’m not using any huge textures and the geometry has about 5Mb total.

Little eye improvement.
https://giant.gfycat.com/AjarEmptyAlbertosaurus.gif
Now using an iris cubemap to fake… refraction? As opposed to just concave iris model. The main problem with the concave model was that when you looked at the eye from the side, the eye would look flat, but this solves it beautifully.

Before:
http://i.imgur.com/Q5XRyqY.png

Hair is hard. And making a hair texture with a mouse is even harder.
I need to add AO to the face, one which accounts for the new hair mesh and beanie.

Bonus sneak peak at the next Assasin’s creed game.

Available on Blendswap!

I meant to use it in something like an animation but she’s not that interesting of a character. It’s been a great project, I learned a lot about sculpting, texturing and the overall process of making a character. I look forward to making a bit more imaginative characters now that I’ve got the basics down.