T-Rex like creature

Updated.

It is going to be animated, so I need every criticism I can get on this one, before I start rigging it.

I personally think it needs more realism to the skin, but I can’t figure out what it needs. Constructive/helpful criticism with ideas on how to improve it, is greatly appreciated.

Looks great, but the feets is abit short. The head looks abit big, so minor changes could be made. Heres a image of a T-Rex:

Thanks, I adjusted the head slightly, and made the feet longer. Better now?

I don’t really see anything wrong with the proportions after having a look around at other images of T-Rex and other similar dinosaurs. If anything it looks like the thigh might be a little too small. I think that the texture looks pretty damn good and is really up to your interpretation. I guess my only suggestion would be maybe have the claw bones? for the fingers and toes be a much darker color than the rest of the body.

Thank you for the idea. I gave the feet a bit darker color.

I am glad you like my texture. I made it myself using a cloud texture and mosaic-texture (for the bump scales) in GIMP.

Looks better, but you could at the muscle under the jaw. Also theres still something about the feets that I cat put the finger on. Try to make them just a little bit thinner and highter. The textures looks very nice now :slight_smile: Looking forward to see the final render!

No, please rig it now- don’t wait any longer.

I would rotate his eyes a little so they slant up a bit and make the brow a little heavier and\or sink them a little deeper , he feels like a dossal dog rather than a killer reptile , I don’t know if you’ve used bumps or not but the bump would affect the specular which it doesn’t seem to be at the moment , maybe just slightly harden the specular. His teeth should be a little off white cream colour , and there doesn’t seem to be any sub surface scattering going on , especially through his jaw membrane or the teeth. His feet are a little to uniformly flat but that may be the pose as opposed to form. Its really good though , I would buy it as an asset if needed for a project. Good work. :wink:

A quick photoshop tweak to make him look angrier , just to explain my eye criticism.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467004[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Thanks for the tip.

Is this one better?

Yesss , now I would run from that mother. Awesome:evilgrin:

Thank you, and thanks to everyone in this thread for your constructive criticism. I now need some help on improving the materials. I have tried all day long, with SSS and IOR, but nothing works as I want it. I have a specular map, a bump map and a color map + HDR, but I can’t give it a realistic looking skin. Any ideas? This is my latest update, with added slime and updated materials:

Is the material created using just cycles or do you have images applied? If so would you mind sharing the node setup I’d be interested in taking a look at it. I think the one thing that really stands out and looks kind of weird is the darker spots on the tail and up into the thigh. Maybe because the rest of the model seems to have one color that varies slightly in shade. Looking at pictures of lizards on google (which seems like the best thing to compare the material to given the similarities between dinosaurs and modern day lizards) I think that your material may be a little too glossy if anything. The transition between the underside and the top of tail material is really abrupt and doesn’t blend which could be worked on. I really like the bump map though.

The darker spots are just my color map. It is just a cloud texture I made in gimp, and placed randomly on the model, for creating some interesting color variation of its skin.

This is the material setup for the skin:

I now made some minor adjustments. See original post for the update. I think it is there. Problem is I can’t animate it propperly. It looks way too mechanic, what can I do to give my dino animation a more organic life to it? (I haven’t posted an animation yet, because I want it to be as good as possible before I start uploading).

I think the skin looks really good now.

It’s looking really good now , If I was animating it the first thing I would do is create some actions for stuff you don’t want to animate constantly , Nostril flaring every time he breathes out , and chest heaving with slight abdomen straining , I would have an idle action for this (very subtle) and then an alternate for when running (more exaggerated) the next layered action I would have blinking only , then another for little claw twitches and slight head cocking. The tail would be his counterbalance and probably constantly moving slightly when stationary and a more controlled stiffer but definite movement whilst running , but you have to be careful to create actions that loop to a different lengths of FPS or it will be to obviously looping. It really depends on how central the character is and\or how detailed you want to get from there on. It’s fairly common now to have muscle solutions and soft body physics , these can be faked by simplified driven shape keys and if the topology at base resolution is high enough these driven shape keys can look really good. Also keep in mind post work plays a roll with little thing like slight dust around the feet , steam from the nose , spittle around the mouth and sound obviously brings an animation to life so don’t drive yourself mad trying to get finished results before it’s finished. :spin: Also it’s amazing when you watch big movies how little of a creature you actually see by the time the director has cut there shots.

Thank you for the tips, but when moving my character, all the bone animations at the center of the armature will get messed up, because they are based off local positions. This means that say it sways its tail in one position, I can’t just duplicate these keyframes in dopesheet for another position. How do I solve this problem?

this creature amaze me every time

Not my tutorial but a basic NLA Tutorial , Sorry if it seems lazy but 600 page books are written on these things !!!
You may need to parent everything to a root bone so all your actions are contained within a hierarchy.