[WIP Short] Nepentes

I’m working on this animation, first plans go back to 2013. Classical dragon and knight story. It will take a few more years, currently I have only a few hours per week for this, so be patient.

Here’s one of four already animated scenes. The other 40 are in animatic stage.

Knight test render, the background is a placeholder, but the shaders will be in this style.
Generally the backgrounds and textures will be painted with brush and paper.

Test render of another scene

And some concept art

Attachments

3 Likes

[ Original Reply has been Edited ]

poor horse :frowning:

I like the animation in both.

the one with the crows looks all crayon-y ooh. was it all in blender??

Loren Lemon - I can’t grow that kind of moustache either, it’s a pity :frowning:

sdhy - the animation is in blender, the textures are painted on paper and scanned, including brush strokes for the feathers which are used there as alpha planes.
Some sculpting was done in 3D Coat.

Awesome. I should learn textures to get an npr look. Thanks for sharing how you made it look “painterly”.

I really like the animation in the first clip. Can’t wait to see more.

It’s a nice project and wip! …

Made some progress…

Thumbnail

Render of the C01 shot:

Gouache:

Blueprint (Krita) for Gouache painting:

Storyboard of the same shot:

C01 and another (unconnected) shot, finished animation and render (except minor corrections)

Knight is on the way, 3 connected shots, finished animation and render (except minor corrections)

Here the first 3 shots are finished animation but not rendered yet, the last one is from the animatic

Is there any way to edit the first post or to add a thumbnail to the topic?

1 Like

This looks very interesting… Especially the art style. I’ll be keeping an eye on it! :slight_smile:

Thanks! These are all handpainted textures and backgrounds.