Floaty ghosty torso zombie dude

This is a model made for a Space-ship based horror game I’m toying with. I started a thread about the base mechanics of it here: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?409060-Torch-beam-reveals-alternate-scene

So the guy I’m working on is a floaty ghostly torso that you can only see when the torch beam shines on him.

This is him more or less done.

Here’s the sculpt in progress - built over a base mesh.

Next was retopology.

…and here’s the hi and low side by side.

Baking normals next!

Then I started to map out the texture regions - painting in the viewport on the model and the UV flat.

I only need a very basic rig for this so I threw that together next. Say hi!

Lastly for this session I added an AO bake down from hi to low. After a quick 0.5 pixel blur it looks pretty sweet.

Oh, I painted a rough spec map too that I will refine. So now it’s time to get detailed with the diffuse and specular maps. I’ll paint some of that in the viewport and some in Pshop.

I set up a Texture Paint screen layout that shows some google ref and the diffuse flat as well as the model and paint tools. I also disabled the spec map since it’s distracting - I’ll paint that in later. This will probably take a while. I’m not the fastest painter but we’ll get there. :slight_smile:

Realy like it!
I think that you should break the mesh in sub parts! for more control and detail management.i’m gone come often to watch progress!

Thanks Doisy!

I’ve layered up a PSD file to paint in a better spec map than the one I hurriedly scribbled in Blender. I’ll also add in some smaller texture details like cloth fibres. I’m not going to work those into the normal map though. maybe on the next one. :slight_smile:

Moar progress. Added some more detail to the normal map (especially on the guts) using hard light mode in Pshop and a detail map.

We’re nearly there. Might just vein up the guts a little on the diffuse map.

Gah! I almost forgot - I’ll have to give the guy a name-badge. :slight_smile:

My dude is now happy in his new home in my game thread here: