Black beard gun

Hello peers ;D,

I need constructive criticism, all the ideas will be appreciated.
Be as PICKY, STRICT and HONEST as you can, I don’t mind.

I’ve modeled this gun by the concept created by Robert Simons the “BLACK BEARD GUN (n-94 plasma pistol)”.
I’ve spent about a week on it.
It’s around 1.5 million pollies, most of the textures are about 1K
a few though are 4K.
I’ve used Andrew Price’s PBR Metallic and Dielectric Material Nodes.
Rendered at 1000 samples.
Post processing done in Blender and Gimp.

All textures are from Poliigon except the few one I’ve hand made in Gimp.

Thanks!

Final:

Clay Render:

Dude that is amazing modelling , I’m a big Fallout fan and that makes me want to run about on a vicious spree , (hypothetical of course) , cool.
Texture wise if the anodized red bits are that worn then the rest of the gun would be a little more stressed I thinks , obviously if its some futuristic sci-fi material then there is no rules , but we judge realism by what were used to , so I would expect the barrel to have slight scratches that affect the specular especially and maybe a little bit more grime in and around the mechanical looking parts of the body , also I always love seeing a little thumb print or two in the cleanest part of the metal (think greasy finger on a clean mirror), again this dulls the specular. All suggestions are to be subtle though it really is top notch work.

Thanks Dean!:). You definitely have a point, I have actually added about four different textures to every material like: scratches/smudges/dust/more smudges, they turned out very subtle though, I’ll try to fix that and re-render it.

Definitely a cool model. I agree with dean that the stressed red is incongruous with the rest of the “pristine” gun.
For example the embossed text on the barrel looks factory fresh - I suggest “scuffing” it.

Andrew Price also has a great tutorial on how to add “grunge” to a model:

And of course there are lots of other tutorials on youtube for the same.
And although you are not using copper, this node setup shows a mix of metal and “non-metal” (copper with vergris)

In fact that thread is my go to place for all procedural textures!

I have downloaded all the textures that elbrujodelatribu posted at blenderswap. I have learned so much going over them, just breaking them down to see what each part does.
I believe that the hand grip is meant to be wrapped leather. There is an excellent “old” leather texture over in blenderswap.
It is mentioned here:

Thank you! That will definitely help me improve with my materials.

Very difficult to critique without knowing the purpose… Author, audience, purpose… Pathos, ethos, logos, is this to impress Blender artists? For a portfolio to get work as an animator or modeler? What I mean is if this is for dog food commercial, it may be off base, if this is for a video game, the poly count is too high, so we must assume it is about looking real in a non real world? I’m drinking, maybe I’m off base, but… I need to know the purpose before I can really help. Pretty nice though, I’d add more detail to the barrel and some more insight into the setting.