de-firefly cycles render

Hi, generally cycles renders are much better than when it first came out but I have found that there is still scope for a bit of de-speckling. i.e. These renders are a) 512 samples b) 64 samples c) 7 frames at 64 samples averaged with the furthest pixels from the mean excluded. The code is relatively simple (though numpy is never very transparent) and included at the bottom.

I have tried running this from inside blender and find that the range of pixel values is much reduced, maybe I’m not getting hold of the render results correctly. Also it’s not ideal having blender freeze for a long time with no indication as to the process having crashed or not! Any help gratefully received.
a)

b)

c)

python script

#!/usr/bin/env python
import numpy as np
from PIL import Image
import os

''' In blender you need to use the animation render to produce a series
of images of the same scene, say 5 or 7. NB you must click on the little
clock next to Sampling:Settings:seed to ensure that all images have different
fireflies.

Then run this file in the same directory after changing the variable FILE
below to match the stem of the file name you specified when rendering in
blender
'''

FILE = 'pic' # stem of file used in blender render, will be saved as pic0001.png
L = [0.2989, 0.5870, 0.1140, 0.0] # standard weight for luminance
rndr = None
f_list = [f for f in os.listdir() if FILE+'00' in f] # assume less than 100 files, practically will always be less than 10
n = len(f_list)

for i, f in enumerate(f_list):
  im = Image.open(f)
  if rndr is None: # first one - create render array to hold all images
    w, h = im.height, im.width
    rndr = np.zeros((n, h, w, 4), dtype=np.float)
  rndr[i] = np.array(im)

lum = (rndr * L).sum(axis=3)
lum = np.abs(lum - lum.mean(axis=0)) # absolute distance from mean

ww, hh = np.meshgrid(np.arange(0, h), np.arange(0, w)) # make index vals for 2nd and 3rd axes
sel = np.argsort(lum, axis=0) # sort along first axis
final = ((rndr.sum(axis=0) - rndr[sel[n - 1], hh, ww]) / (n - 1)).astype(np.uint8) # subtract pixel furthest from mean

Image.fromarray(final).save('{}_final.png'.format(FILE)) # save image

and this is the blender attempt (but not with the full functionality of the above - I gave up after a while)

import bpy
import numpy as np
import sys # resorted to using PIL to check at what stage pixel qual deteriorates
sys.path.insert(1, '/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages')
from PIL import Image

N = 3

scene = bpy.context.scene # short cut to increase brevity
scene.use_nodes = True
tree = scene.node_tree
links = tree.links
for n in tree.nodes:
    tree.nodes.remove(n)

rl = tree.nodes.new('CompositorNodeRLayers')
rl.location = 185,285
v = tree.nodes.new('CompositorNodeViewer')
v.location = (750, 210)
v.use_alpha = False
links.new(rl.outputs[0], v.inputs[0])
c = tree.nodes.new('CompositorNodeComposite')
links.new(rl.outputs[0], c.inputs[0])
bpy.data.images['Viewer Node'].colorspace_settings.name = 'sRGB'

scene.render.resolution_percentage = 100 # to avoid rounding error with w, h
w = scene.render.resolution_x
h = scene.render.resolution_y
rndr = np.zeros((N, h, w, 4), dtype=np.float)

# do three renders into rndr
for i in range(N):
  scene.cycles.seed = i # different 'noise' each time
  bpy.ops.render.render()
  rndr[i] = np.array(bpy.data.images['Viewer Node'].pixels
                      ).reshape(h, w, 4)

# use luminance
L = [0.2989, 0.5870, 0.1140] # luminance RGB factors
lum = (rndr[:,:,:,:3] * L).sum(axis=3)

ww, hh = np.meshgrid(np.arange(0, h), np.arange(0, w)) # make index vals for 2nd and 3rd axes
sel = np.argsort(lum, axis=0) # sort N along first axis
mid = int(N / 2) # if N is even this isn't official median
final = rndr[sel[mid], hh, ww] # use middle one
# even if I just save rndr[0] i.e. the first unaltered render it's lost image quality
Image.fromarray((final[::-1,:,:] * 255).astype(np.uint8)).save('/home/patrick/Downloads/Untitled Folder/scr_caps/addon_test/final5.png') # save image
# below non PIL original version
'''
# put pixels back in new image and save over file in render specs
im = bpy.data.images.new('Sprite', alpha=True, width=w, height=h)
im.colorspace_settings.name = 'sRGB'
im.use_alpha = True
im.alpha_mode = 'STRAIGHT'
im.filepath_raw = scene.render.filepath
im.file_format = 'PNG'
im.pixels = final.flatten() # put our median pixels into new image
im.save()
'''

I’m no good with coding, so i cant help on the python side of things…

But for fireflies, rather than a python solution, have you tried just clamping the samples instead of using code?

This is done in the samples tab in the render settings panel. i usually clamp direct to between 3 and 5 and indirect at between 2 and 3, this usually eradicates most fireflies from my renders :slight_smile:

If you need some extreme highlights though, and need high value ranges for compositing, you can try a less extreme clamp of say 8 or 10 for direct and indirect at between 5 and 8 :slight_smile:

@Jamie, yes clamping is usually be best last resort before leaving it to render over night! But it does flatten the sparkle quite noticeably as you say. For comparison here’s the same scene rendered with 512 and clamping 9 direct 7 indirect.

my mean+median system isn’t perfect either but is an alternative

Jamie, yes clamp is usually best route but it does reduce contrast with highlights as you say. For comparison here is the same scene with clamps set to 9 and 7

EDIT - re-loaded - odd it looked fine originally. Tried reducing the file name length.

my medianish-mean system isn’t perfect either but is another choice.

Your latest uploaded attachment seems to be broken, try re-uploading :slight_smile:

This may help you with the theory side of de-noising cycles renders :slight_smile:

And here is a node based solution based on this theory, trying to emulate the effect of this setup with better results using python may be a good way to go, but then again, ive never tried anything like this myself so i’m not 100% on the information im providing. I usually just use a combination of hotpixels eliminator, blenders compositor and photoshop to reduce noise.

The only recomendation i can think of is to perhaps run seperate de-noising algortihms for different render passes, as usually glossy, transmission and refraction bounces will produce more noise than say diffuse or velvet, So running different levels/techniques of de-noising to seperate render passes and then combining them may help to produce a cleaner result with less loss of vital pixel data. I think something along these lines may be mentioned in the first link i provided you :slight_smile:

@Jamie, thanks for that (re-uploaded image).

Yes I’ve looked at various things in the past and tried a few. I do usually set the LightPaths:FilterGlossy and Sampling:Clamp values as much as I can without degrading the image too much, but the real answer is to use an enormous number of samples. Failing that, the idea of making a mean but discarding outliers is reasonably logical and doesn’t loose very much pixel data. I’ve seen a similar technique used for taking photos at low light levels - basically take a series of images which are all really grainy then extract either the median or the mean of the middle group.

PS your sample renders are quite amazing!

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

If you are using the multiple renders method, you could try using a different random sobol seed for each render, Giving varied noise patterns on each, which may lead to a better result when blending the images back together with your method :slight_smile:

I remember hearing somewhere that this can help reduce noice when using the averages of each rendered images pixels if they have different noise seeds :slight_smile: