A beautiful but slightly odd combat system.

Hi,

I just wanted to show you guys this realistic combat system I recently found on youtube. It’s almost two years old now and admittedly it’s definitely not flashy or sexy, but my god do I think it’s beautiful. Whenever I imagine real medieval weapons being wielded by unskilled people, this is exactly how I’d imagine a fight would go. Sloppy and weird, I like it!

Kind regards,
Claus

Clicked on this thread expecting spam(There’s no shortage of those in this forum recently,unfortunately :confused: )

Instead I came out pleasantly surprised

This combat system looks amazing

But I can speculate as to why it didn’t reach mainstream appeal.

It’s a dungeon crawler
Most people (Including myself in this) associate dungeon crawlers with grind fests like… Diablo where skill doesn’t matter as much as gear…

But the combat system certainly is inspiring.
I happen to be interested in making a sword fighting type of game too.

Mount and Blade had a pretty decent combat system, if a bit clunky. The feeling of the speed of the horse you were on really contributed to the impact of the weapon. of course riding a horse felt more like driving a tank, but the combat felt nice.

Exanima does look like it’s worth a go! Love M&B and before that Die By the Sword was my standard for what a sword fighting game could do (that really relied on player dexterity much more than skill/weapon upgrades). VSIM keyboard mode was so much more fun than button mashing!

Have atcha!!

Man I couldn’t get past the bad animation the feet just slide all over the place like the characters are walking on ice. the weirdest bit for me is how the character turn from facing in one direction to the other as if they were on a turn table no feet movement just the whole body rotating by magic

Is because are realtime and on internet, i think that is quite good for the other things i see on the web.

That’s something I seem to be missing in Exanima, impact. Currently it feels like everything is still made of cardboard when things collide.

Man I couldn’t get past the bad animation the feet just slide all over the place like the characters are walking on ice. the weirdest bit for me is how the character turn from facing in one direction to the other as if they were on a turn table no feet movement just the whole body rotating by magic

I don’t think many games are actually good in that regard. They all seem to slide a lot. I even think they managed to handle it pretty well in this one. If you have an example of a game where’d it’s better I’d love to see it!