is it possible to array random objects

I am wanting to make 3-4 objects and have them follow a curve. For a single object I would use an array modifier with a curve modifier and have the array follow the curve. But I am wanting to have multiple objects follow the curve and randomly place them along the curve.

Any ideas how to do this? Is it even possible?

I don’t know a directly supported solution for this but i might have a somewhat sloppy workaround for you … but with very severe limitations.

If the objects just have to follow a curve and don’t have to be connected (like a chain) then you could in theory just use the particle system.

1. Transform the curve into an edge (obj mode alt+c)

2. make sure the vertices of this new edge are spaced like you want them (those are the anchor points for your random objects)

3. select all your random elements and group them (select them all and press ctrl+g)

4. add a particle system to the base (your former curve)

5. In the particle system set emission to vertices

6. under the particle systems render settings select group and add your random object group as dupli group

7. then select use count and basically for an even distribution divide the number of vertices you have by the number of random objects and add those numbers.

8. as a last step check under the render option rotation and select the checkbox for the rotation part of the particle sys and set it to object y.

Now the objects will be positioned regardless of their volume … so make sure that the base you use has it’s vertices spaced enough to fit the random objects onto it (the random objects pivot point is used for placing them) and adjust the amount of particles accordingly.

You will more than likley have to add some subdivisions along the converted edge and play around quite a bit to make things fit better.

It’s sadly still a hack at best and will probalby only work with simple curves but here is a demo file i made for you to showcase the settings.
Hope it helps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2V1WBXzmkKtVExaNFYtd2hJVDQ

Plane with array, curve, and particle system picking a random from a group of cubes. The rotation aligns with the curve because the plane is rotated.

Thanks to both of you. I will take a look at these and see what I can do.

Much appreciated.