Making a Maya Like Shelf

Let me explain. In Maya, or Cinema 4D i could use the built in scripting languages to make a toolbar with custom icons or buttons that coresponded to parts of my character. So instead of having to click around in the viewport to try and select the right control or bone, I could just click a picture of the foot in tthis “shelf” and the foot control is automaticaly selected.

What i would realy like to do is render a picture of my character in a t pose and be able to have a window open where i click on the picture to select the right body part or control. I hope some of you have come from elswhere in 3d land and can help answer my questions.

If i need to clarify i will try and do some screenshots. Or you can look at the “sphereman” thumbnail picture under the free characters section of my site. Or you could download and watch the video of this script for c4d in action under the free scripts and plugins section of my site.

http://www.tensixstudios.com

thanks,
Randy Webb

I didn’t touch python in a year or so, but you could squeeze some of such functionality from blender. without graphic representation, of course.

you could either: draw selected’s bones (from armature) buttons in blender’s script window or alternatively list them in a popup menu.

so it wouldn’t be a shelf but a select-menu (you could also use some sort of custom prefix filtering, e.g. scene elements names starting with move … etc.).

http://www.blender.org/modules/documentation/236PythonDoc/Draw-module.html#PupMenu

A fast solution to aknowledge your workflow would be to keep a little outliner open. Using this you can select all you want and have direct acces for edition.

A solution like what you ask can be build in python though. it would just need time and some opengl coding knowledge.

You can do the same with the other apps i said i have previous experience with. The problem is that once you have a complicated scene or character, you end up scrolling thru hundreds of things to select the 10 or so same controls/bones over and over. It really does speed things up tremendously. Maybe I will have to get used to slowing down for a while, until i learn code.

how do i do that? Can someone post an example. If your talking about just having a window with buttons to click and select certain objects thats what i want.

:smiley:
Now that’s really easy.
But in the first post you mentionned “bone in posemode”. I have to informe you that bones aren’t handled as objects and sadly there is not way to select bones in posemode IMHO.
If someone else know a way to do so, say it. I couldn’t find it tonight.

looks like a good reason to implement such feature in bpy.