Exporting from 3ds Max to Blender with keeping origin points (Pivots)

I have tried every option to export a model from 3ds max (FBX(2011…2017), OBJ, …etc) and import it to blender, but they all fail.

If I re-import the fbx/obj model to 3ds max or just view it in Unity game engine, everything works perfect. Pivots (origin points) are in correct place)

But If I import the model to blender, most of the pivots are in incorrect positions/rotations.
It especially happens worse if there are lot’s of mesh objects in the same file. And if there is parent/child relationship their scales become wrong aswell.

Note that, if fbx is exported from blender, blender imports it back with correct pivot information.

What I found as a workaround;
Remove all parent/child relationship with unparenting everything.
Select all objects in the model, set their position to 0,0,0 and rotation to 0,0,0 export.
Import to blender

Models pivots are in incorrect position and rotation, but we have the mesh objects position same as it was in 3ds max. Meaning that, if we reset all pivots position and rotation to 0,0,0, we will have correct pivot positon relative to each object.

But Of course we lost the positions/rotations of every object and we have to set them up again. Which takes huge amount of time for some models.

Please if possible fix blenders import system. If it’s impossible, suggest a workaround to transfer files from 3ds max to blender without losing origin points.

I also had a post from 2015 that’s about same issue, there are some screenshots if you need them. I didn’t have a response in that topic;

Thanks.

Have to bump that … have the same issue here. Max 2016 and Blender 2.79

Have you tried using Reset XForm? It’s located in the Utilities tab

1 Like

Thank you David, resetting the XForm works for me.

ResetXForm doesn’t worked for me… What I did is to attach all elements as a single mesh and it works…