Add-on : Camera Regions

This free add-on lets you:

• Convert the Ctrl+B render region to the camera’s frame itself (a “camera region”)
  • Store and access as many of these regions as you want in a camera’s properties
  • Place a region render result back into the original canvas (optional)
  • Enter numeric values to create a region instead of drawing a rectangle
  • Export data about your camera regions in text form

Notable use cases:

• Any situation where you want to go back and forth between regions and have them memorized
  • Forcing renderfarms and other network rendering tools to use a region and still be able to split the frame across rendering nodes (most won’t do it otherwise)
  • Rendering sprites and exporting the necessary data to create an animated 2D interface of a rendered 3D object (e.g. an electronic device where you can click on buttons and knobs)

Download it on Gitlab

Watch the tutorial

For the dinosaurs there is a version for Blender 2.7x

:information_source: The 2.7x version has a feature for splitting the frame in a grid to enable distributed single-frame rendering in any renderfarm software that doesn’t support it natively. This feature has not been included to the 2.8 version for lack of a demand for such a feature. However, feel free to tell me if you would have a use for it.

3 Likes

Thanks ChameloenScale,
Congrats too! Useful add-on.
Could you explain all options, please? :eyebrowlift2:

You’re right, I updated the description.
I will also do a tutorial on it some day.

Ha mais tu es français, où ai-je la tête en voyant ton prénom, j’ai pensé à l’Italie…j’aurais du penser à la Corse peut-être…
Bon courage pour la suite alors…
Spirou4D

hé oui, c’est Portugais en fait.

Comme mon beau-cousin alors! You are welcomme!
At soon…
Spirou4D

Usefull thing. Thank you

Just coming to say that since Sheep it changed its rendertime limit policy allowing for longer render times, I may not need to improve this add-on for my personal use, but if someone needs some particular features or improvements feel free to ask and I’ll see what I can do.

Wow! Rightclickselct.com did its job! :wink:
I mean, I found this useful addon by posting a proposal there. Nice!
Again thanks a lot Caetano.

Glad to see I didn’t do it for myself alone !

cool! thanks alot man!

btw I played a bit with the splitting feature but it looks buggy to me: It doesn’t create perfect tiles to be joined at the end: 2x2 and 4x4 modes create many ‘overlapping’ tiles, it seems that there’s an offset on the X axis. And perhaps on the Y as well

Hmm, I’m using it these days and have no problem at all.
Did you follow the steps given in the readme ?
My first guess is you forgot to set the keyframes interpolation to Constant. I know it should be done automatically but I’ve tried many python commands and none worked. I guess in the mean time I could simply make the code add more keyframes so it works with the bezier interpolation. The interpolation doesn’t seem to affect motion blur anyway. I guess camera blur doesn’t account for shift X and Y, which I think it should though.

My apologies: I forgot to set constant interpolation… :o

Tell your questions here to obtain a deepest answer, please:

:eyebrowlift2:
Good Luck!

Thanks Spirou4D, I’ll ask for help when I find the time to get back in the code.

For everyone, apart from that, I just made an easy-to-use node setup to combine the rendered tiles of split frames & animations in the compositor, which I will eventually make a more complete version of and publish, but if you need it asap tell me.

Thanks for the addon.
Is it possible to add an option to crop camera view to the same size than render border without any zooming ?

I don’t really see the point of adding it as an option (could you elaborate on your use case ?) but you can simply set the focal length back to its original value.

Well I’m using another render engine which does not respect render borders when viewport rendering. If you have info how to do it, I can fork your addon. I’m using it for material creating.

do you also want it to restore the shift X and Y to zero ?