Strange merge distortion and a little more

I was trying to make a 3d model of Kiibo from the game New Danganronpa v3. In the model a couple of strange errors surfaced. If anyone who sees this is a fan, know that the reference images do not reveal any spoilers. The image on the right was a secreencap from the game before it released, so the developers avoided puting any spoilers in it.

The vertecies circled by the grease pencil were resisting the merge command by seeming to make entirely new polygons when I try. This is also happening with some other vertecies on the base of the hair. the reason I want to merge them is to hopefully smooth out the model after proportional editing was messing them up. If you have any tips please comment on this post or the google drive document at the bottom.

Another problem I was having is getting the eye parts alligning and facing foreward. Even when I get that to work I am also going to have trouble mirroring them. I just realized today that the mirror modifier flips around the object center instead of the world center. So suggestions for either of these would help.

Lastly, the headphones/ears are having trouble getting on the surface. I was thinking of connecting them to the model by the hair, but if anyone has a better suggestion, then I will take it.

Any other modeling issues or fixes would be much appreciated. Thank you!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2oWYftYIVTNOElVVlk5Y2RoaVU/view?usp=sharing

there are too many things to point out.

go watch a blender basics tutorial, and also study face topology.

the mirror modifier issue ur having can also be solved.

either apply the eyes object position, or use an empty to use as mirror point.

I have been studying basics tutorials for a while before using blender, but I am at a loss with understanding topology application. I thought the basics were to keep everything in triangles and quads and use triangles on joints; however, you have a greater understanding of the rules for sure. I found a guide at https://cgcookie.com/archive/learning-mesh-topology-collection/ which I will study to better understand. Could you tell me where the issues are the most glaring, and whether you would think I could salvage this without restarting later.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468677[/ATTACH]
This is what I got through today. I created a shader template, (figured out how to patch the hole, but lost the save data), straightened the eyes a little, and adjusted the face mesh to better fit the shape. The new version is updated in the same google drive link.

Unless you’re going to be sculpting the face, the best method for modelling a head is to start with the details first like the mouth, eyes and nose and then model the head.The topography is mostly the same for most faces so you shouldn’t have any problems finding references.
A quick google search will give you a general idea of the edge flow used for modeling a head.
https://www.google.com/search?q=head+topology&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw0cLpltPRAhVrCcAKHa3RBqgQ_AUICCgB&biw=1858&bih=1009#imgdii=OdjE7HtT1-BQhM%3A%3BOdjE7HtT1-BQhM%3A%3BIWKPYf1SCtlYiM%3A&imgrc=OdjE7HtT1-BQhM%3A

Is this a better way to start off the face mesh. I took some tips from an anime character modeling series at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgIVNDU-Dxjb3eukDF5W0l0-6ShO9OiM. I started at episode 7, because that is where the commentator starts off the face. He says to ignore face topology in the next episode, so I know to take his word with a grain of salt. I definitely need to adjust a couple of object’s placement like the ear things, the eyes, and the collar to better fit the character. I am unsure whether the eyelid area is too curved in or not, so can someone give me advice on that. If you want to check it out, the model is updated in my first link.

Note the technique he uses for the eyes is bad. other then that, take everything you can learn from him. i followed the same tutorial 2 years ago :stuck_out_tongue:

(Old image from 2015)

this is the best i could achieve after 2 failed attemps, and many weeks if not months of work. so you are diving into a hard topic.

If i could go back in time, id not go through the same again as i did not learn much of relevance, as the current workflow is sculpting and retopoing. the modelling technique you are about to learn is very outdated. However, i do not regret spending those weeks on that project.