Cartoony scene study

Here’s the current progress.

That ought to be a fun project to work on :slight_smile: Nice job on the concept work as well! It’ll be fun to see how it all comes together whenever you’re able to finish it.

Hi, It’s been a crazy week for me But still, I have some update to show :wink:

Here’s a follow-up from the sketch, I don’t think I like the monster that much rightnow.

So, I redo the entire monster and went through process of detailing the food van. + sketched out the Mustard missile trail with edge extrude + skin modifier and sculpt on top of that.

Next up would be a good time to really design the character for the Cook and his trusty driver. as well as the van’s interior.

PS. Thanks so much, @ArtOfLight for a kind words/critics :wink:

Fantastic. I like the van and the new monster very much. The colors are very nice also.

You’re welcome gumustdo :slight_smile: I agree with minoribus; it really is looking good.

There’s a BIG change on monster now. Yes, a lot of tentacles. and I decided to change the missile trail into an actual Mustard!

And sketched over some messiness caused by it. + planing some more element to make this scene fit with the theme of Fast food and kind of funny terror.

Some minor adjustment to the monster, Changing chef’s bazooka to mustard squeezey bottle, starting add food :wink:

Still no idea about bg.

Love the concept and this is looking great!

Hi Guys, here’s the latest update. Adding splash impact of the mustard by using solidify + snap on surface + sculpting And model some more foods. The cola spill on the back also done by sculpting.

I think I’m going to do a final touch soon before going for full-scale rendering.

Any suggestion?

PS. Thank you so much @theoldghost @ArtOfLight @minoribus :slight_smile:

Looks very nice in its details.
I would be careful of focus - now it’s all the same intensity and same brightness, and the viewer’s eye doesn’t know where to rest. Maybe try to get a certain part (maybe the foreground car? but could be the kraken as well) into focus, by playing with light/brightness (e.g. the kraken could come out of shadow), atmospheric perspective (blueing/graying the background), object colours, perhaps DOF.
It always helps to resize the image to thumbnail size and squint the eyes - what do you see? Currently not much, chaos.

Gumastdo - Sure thing! It’s coming along well! Something I had thought of that could help improve it is to maybe rotate the character on top of the car towards the monster a little bit. With the area his eyes are looking to right now, it kind of makes the flow of the image go towards the bottom corner instead of towards the monster, and just feels a little bit strange he would be looking over there so far. You would have to see though.

Ania makes some good points about focus. A few other things I’d like to add is that everything is filled with highly saturated colors (which I know is quite common in cartoon works) when ideally only some parts should be unsaturated so that the eye can focus and gravitate towards the contrast between the saturated and the unsaturated. Another thing I’d like to mention is that the color scheme appears to be an approximate 33/33/33 even split between the primary colors, which also interferes with what to focus on. Try to experiment more around with the ratio between red, blue, and yellow so that one color can stand out more from the rest.

This video explains stuff pretty well on colors. Found it while lurking on the forums here. Worth a watch imo.

Very good and lovely progress.

In addition to what others said I feel that the sausage at the top isn’t fighting against the kraken. I ask myself: “Why is it pumping the mustard to the side and not against the kraken?” I think it would make the storytelling stronger if it would turn more towards the kraken.

I love it. I like your cartoony art style and the colors.
It reminds me alot of Blenders splash screen image in 2.76(?).

If there’s something to improve it might be the bg color. Somehow I feel that some parts of the render are vanishing to bg.

Love it, especially the tentacled monster, this would work as a childrens cartoon.