Foggy Color - Help

Hey so I made this park scene the other day because I wanted to play around with colors and mist, and I’m wondering what everyone thinks about the colors? Please be brutally truthful about what you think. Took about 30 minutes, rendered with cycles at about 100 samples, and cleaned up in GIMP with stuff like fireflies

-There just isn’t any real cohesion to the colors.
-The river looks way too blue, and while water is glossy, I would mix it with a translucent shader to it doesn’t just look like a blue mirror.
-There’s just quite a bit of dead space in the upper left, not huge but could use some work.

Stylistically I don’t mind the dark blue complementing the dark orange very well, although I’d probably hint at where the blue comes from; probably some gradient in the sky going to bluer sky at top to indicate fog vertical density is changing. Realistically, the water should have white reflections and reflect the true color of the fog/gradient/sky/trees/ground etc, and have any color come from water impurities (volume absorption) and lighting effects for the surface below the water. Realistically, in such dense fog I think the light from the lightpole should scatter a bit as well.

Intent would be nice to know in order to give proper comments. Is it a stylistic thing for kids or blocking out stuff for a project to be refined later?

Just some random art for maybe like a desktop background or something. I will probably work on it some more, but really I’m just trying to really learn the node editor.

Kinda reminds me of The Long Dark.

Uhhhh, I assume that is a compliment? Here is my updated version. I didn’t have time to get rid of the fireflies, but if anyone has any tips on how to get rid of them, please tell me.

It is, sorry for not being clear. It’s my favorite game at the moment.

This is a screenshot of the game, your render gives of more or less the same atmosphere.

Ahhh ok. Yeah I like playing with the fog and snow things because they make it so that I have to build a smaller scene. :smiley:

https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/7-ways-get-rid-fireflies/ I made some notes on your rendering.
I dont know how one would furthar blur edjes or desaturate more in cerain areas:

Hope your not offended by what I did here its just for demonstration of Art Rules. I am interested in how one might make edges blur up the more distant they are from a camera. ?? but if you find out I wnat to know. Also to desaturate the furthar from the camera.
We call them lost and found edges. Edges look real when they appear and dissapear.
I like the inviting layout of your scene. Im looking at it and more desaturation in the water to make it appear to GO-Back. might help.

@Brontobyte Wow! That is a lot of help that you just gave me, but I updated my OS (Linux 18.1) and can’t remember where it is on my hard drive, so now I need to find it… :smiley: Anyway, thanks! That will help me a lot in the future!