Just some bottles

Don’t you hate it when you have no clue what to write in the “Title” section? :slight_smile:

I’m playing around with some bottles and a crate…
Trying to get a vintage look.
I want to work more on the textures and try different compositions/angles.

Would love to hear your tips and suggestions.

Another render.
I have no idea if it’s any good or even interesting, but it is what it is…

Looks cool for me! Well done!

Thanks, Aiduss

Can I add a comment on latest :

I think floor must be more detailed for more realistic image. Then it will be very very good!

1 Like

I really like both versions. They are very different, but both are good.
You could try adding more details in the refraction, for example this image has some brighter spots that don’t appear in your render:

http://photography.christopherleedham.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/40D-20120401-1952.jpg
Maybe this is possible with a noise as bump map?

Really nice. Although I agree with Aiduss, adding a texture to the floor will make it even better.

Thanks guys, for your comments and suggestions!

Yesterday I worked on this some more. Weird how I can work on even the smallest things for hours. But it’s fun, so I don’t mind.

Anyway, here’s a new render.
I added a textured floor, as Aiduss suggested (there was actually no floor in previous renders, just the Hdr :D). I gave it an apparent bump, to look very rough and grungy…like a basic asphalt ground.

I also changed the glass material. I think it looks better now. But I’ll probably play with it a little more.

More suggestions are more than welcome! For example, do you think the soft shadows match the Hdr?

I added some dust on top of the bottle, to make it look like it’s been lying there for a while.
At the moment, I’m still not sure what do you about the lighting.

I like the shadows in the first image, but then I also like the soft green reflection on the ground in the second one. Maybe I can find a middle ground?

What do you think looks more natural?

Definitely the top. Is the frame thing in the background a door? If so, aren’t the bottles kind of big, or is it just the angle?

Also, how about adding a label of some kind to the front bottle to cleverly convey some kind of message?

And is that a lens flare at the top? That would be cool.

Hey, amprod2. Thanks for your comment.

The camera is way down, ground level and 90 degrees on the x. So the angle surely gives that illusion. I guess it also depends on how big the scene is and how far away the object is from the background. I wanted to make the place feel quite big and open. I think this is how it would look like if I were to physically take the photo.

I have thought about adding a torn lable, or adding a cap on the ground.

Hi!

Very nice render. I like the tint of the glass, the way it reflects, and refracts the light and the “eyeglass” effect it casts on objects behind. Maybe try another raytracer to achieve cool caustics (i.e. LuxRender). If i had any comments - the wooden crate texture/material looks not quite realistic.
Cebbi - the bottles on the reference photo You have posted seem to be made of a so-called forest glass (known also as Waldglas from german), because it was made of sand and wooden ash in small workshops located in the woods. The technique of casting this glass comes from medieval Europe, but it was used until first half of XX century in some manufactures. Maybe some of us know grandma’s tinctures stored in such bottles or huge wine carboys placed in a cold cellar. The surface of containers made of this material is uneven, so a bump map is good idea, but i’d rather use voronoi instead of noise (or a combination of both) I wonder how it would affect the reffraction effect. Another issue is that waldglass often contained small bubbles of gas, which were the residues of casting process, so there also should be a particle system applied to the volume of the glass.

Sambor, wow… where did you get this knowledge of glass from?
Yes, you’re right, the material on the wooden crate does not look realistic. That’s why in the more recent renders I pushed it back, so I won’t have to work on it. You can see on my artstation page with which render I eventually ended this little experiment.
Haven’t tried any other but Cycles, yet. But I’m sure I could fake the caustic effect if I wanted to.
Thanks for your [very informative] comment :slight_smile: