Irina (Nudity)

I happened across this image on 500px and was instantly smitten. I was about to start another project, but I just HAD to Weird Science her! I’ll give the young-ins a few minutes to google that…

I was only able to find three pictures of Irina, all taken by the same photographer, and in only one of those is she not staring directly at the camera. So there’s a lot of guesswork going on here.
I’m about 3 hours in. I have the basic shape down, and am starting in on the asymmetrical features.

Current progress 03/22/17:

Really nice work so far.

Good luck! you have so little references to work from… I think for now, the nose, the forhead, the corner of the eye are the weakest points. There is other picture from other angle that I think can help you a lot. It is going to be hard!!!

Edit: Other angle

Safetyman, thanks fella.

Tonatiuh, I did do some additional work on the head since I last posted, but I’ll take a look at those issue areas you mentioned. Thank you.

A few more hours in. I did some work on the body, including posing. I also did a quick paintover of where I’m sorta going with this. Normally I like to have a concept sketched out before I even touch any 3D, but this whole project was kinda impromptu.

The pose looks very stiff, try to bring some more asymetry in. Also I think it would look better if she pulled her cloth more downwards and less outwards.
I understand it’s just an overpaint, but take care how she holds the cloth. She wouldn’t hold like that, between thumb and fingers, rather with the tips of the fingers (try it out).
Feet are too flat, looks like scaled down in Z.
Face looks quite good already.

I think you should look a lot to the 3/4 picture she has, and also the neck can be a lot more relax, just a little sternocleido at the bottom.

http://kkonst.com/portfolio/irene-2 Could this be the same girl, just with heavier makeup?
Look at the shape of the eyebrows, stray hair on her right inner brow.
Compare http://kkonst.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/DSC9207-1s.jpg with https://500px.com/photo/194433515/irina-by-ivan-warhammer

There’s more Irene girls in this artist’s portfolio, but I’m not sure about the other ones, they all wear much more makeup than in Warhammer’s photographs. But Irene and Irina are just different translations from the same russian name, and both photographers are from Moscow, so I guess there are no endless resources of models called Irina there.

ania, I do see what you mean about the flat feet. I also agree the way she’s holding the shirt looks odd. I was kinda overselling the notion that she’s holding the cloth. It’ll be easier to express in 3D for me.

Tonatiuh, I do suppose the sternum could be toned down a bit.

And you guys are right about the pose looking stiff, however that’s the intention. I should have given some context. :slight_smile: I asked my girlfriend to pose for me standing on cold, winter morning tile with no pants or shoes. Whole body stretched out stiff, and standing on the balls of her feet from the coldness. Arms and pelvis slightly forward is a natural counterbalance to standing on one’s tiptoes. I don’t want much asymmetry in the pose. I want it to be mainly neutral and foward facing, just like the original Irina photograph.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure, actually. They’re close, but different enough to give you slight pause. Maybe same girl, a few years apart? Both also have freckles on the nose as well. Thanks for the find!

Yes, I think this is from 2015 and yours from 2017.

And I just took a closer look at some of the asymmetrical features I’ve been studying in the original. They match. It’s without a doubt the same girl. Thanks again for the find!

How’d you come across it? Did you know to search for Irene instead of Irina?

That is really good luck!!! Now you have a lot more to work from! even the body, I think that also Irene in B&W is the same girl!

Not good luck. Just a good community full of people willing to take the time to do research on your behalf. :slight_smile:

Anyway, you guys got me thinking (and second guessing what I said previously) about the pose. Given what I said in post #8, and with some alternate views with center mass lines drawn in, do you still think I need to switch up the pose before I commit? The image is orthogonal.

Attachments

I probably think a little of shy may help, like one shoulder up and like she is hiding, in that shoulder, just a little, so she looks with the chin down, and a little of rotations of the head… and the gesture of like she is trying to cover her parts, with a sort shirt, so one knee try to cover the other to close the legs. then the other leg is straiten, and the weigh goes that way… I hate my english!!!

Entiendo. Tu Ingles es bueno. Estoy aprendiendo Espanol(Latin American), pero no es muy bueno.
Duolingo says I’m 16% fluent, but I don’t think I agree that I’m any kind of fluent. lol I should know more, having been born and raised 200 miles from Mexico.

Anyway, I do understand what you mean. Below is a (very) quick pose up of what you are describing. Though shy isn’t what I’m going for, really. I’m going more for: “I just got out of bed on a cold winter morning. The floor is cold and my thighs are cold. Even my hands are too cold to warm my thighs. Damn, where did those pants go?! Oh well, I still make this look good…”

I don’t even remember how I found them, it was weird and complicated and I did it because I wasn’t motivated to do my own stuff. After looking again, I think all Irene there, except Irena Ponaroshku, might be the same person, at least they all look similar and all have this thick shifted lower lip, just different hair and makeup.

As for the pose, I think #13 is a good start and just needs modifications, also I think it’s the better camera angle (if the pose should be roughly symmetric, you can go for a central or frontal composition). #15 looks a bit weird.
If she’s cold, she’d press the arms against the body, so from shoulder to elbow, there should be no gap between body and arm. Also legs close together. Asymetry can be subtle, one shoulder slightly up, hips slightly tilted, weight a bit more on one side, one hand slightly higher than the other and different finger positions, feet in different angles, one knee (the one without weight) slightly bent (less than in #15), one foot slightly forwards for balance, etc.

Nice! Ahora te puedo escribir en español entonces! jeje
Well I think it has to be more subtle also, as ania said.
Love the description of the pose jaja

Ania; Weird and complicated, ey? Well I’m intrigued by that, but quit procrastinating and go do art! haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Tonatiuh; Jeje! Mas practica para mi, supongo. Vocabulario es dificil, pero tengo una buena comprension de… estructura de la oracion? (Not sure if that last part is correct) :evilgrin:
By the way, is it still comprehensible without the accents? I know where they go on many words, but I can never remember the keyboard commands to input them. And I try not to use a translator other than to look up vocabulary I have yet to learn.

Anyway, fun and games aside, we have very (not) serious work to discuss!

I’ve modified the pose, and pulled the arms in. I’m calling that part mostly done, though I might tweak the hands a bit more. It looks a little off, but I’m not sure if it’s her grasp, or the fact that I’ve yet to add much detail to the hands. What do you think? And I’m set on keeping the hands turned outward. I think if you stand on your toes, you will instinctively put your arms out for counter balance. (Or if you’re really cold, at least your hands, I suppose.)

The pose IS plain. I know. A lot of artists like to talk about action lines/poses, and expression. That’s great sometimes, but I guess plain is just kinda my thing. I think it stems from the fact that when someone says they’re taking my picture, I just stand there. I don’t get all bendy with my arms and legs like I’m teaching a hot yoga class. haha

Oh and here’s a quick turntable.

How did you make the shirt? Cloth sim?

I’m not that fancy. Hehe No, I experimented with the cloth sim on my last project, but it just seemed like a lot of prep work for unpredictable results.

For clothes, I start with good old fashioned box modelling. Then I iteratively sub divide and shrinkwrap, excluding the areas I want the fabric to drape. Then it goes to ZBrush for the folds and wrinkles. (Which still needs work in this case.)