Mr Socks Sketchbook

Hi everyone. I started learning 3d modelling a few months ago and have basically been teaching myself every day. Figured it would be a good idea to start a sketchbook to have a place to keep what I’m working on, and to get some feedback. :eyebrowlift2:

Welcome to the forum, Mr Socks!

Can’t wait to see some stuff from you!

I started sculpting an hour a day this week. I used an image of Chuck Liddell as a reference for the head and it took about 2 hours. I think it turned out a lot better than my previous attempts, though i still struggle with ears for sure :P. I worked on the hand for about 3 hours. Pretty pleased with it, especially for a first attempt.

Amazing detail for a first try!

On the fingers, the joints are more meaty than the rest. It should really be the other way around. Just keep comparing it to your own hand and it will get there.

Mouth, outside of the hand (leftmost part in the image), ears, and cheeks need work too, but are already looking very nice!

Thanks for the pointers amprod2. Do you have any suggestions for the ears? That’s where I feel like I’m struggling most at this point.

WIP shot of my current project. Using a 40k Imperial Guard Sergeant as my reference. The head and cloth are sculpted, while the armor and weapons are modeled.

Attachments

I’m back with more screenshots of my WIP imperial guard sergeant. He’s now basically complete. I need to tweak and fix some things, and then add a few more detail items (insignia, headset).

A closer view of his face. I’m pretty happy with it, though I’m sure there’s things that could be done better (notably, the ears… I’m still figuring out how to do ears well).

Another thing I’ve been working on lately:

I’ve always loved the ships from Star Wars. I did this as an exercise to speed up my modeling. Probably do a Y-wing next :).

I’m back with more to show from my sculpting practice.

I’ve been working on a Warcraft-style troll. Spent about 6 hours on this.

I feel like I’m getting a better handle on sculpting facial anatomy, as well as sculpting in general. I also learned a lot more about compositing and rendering during this project. Some areas I feel I need to improve on: ears, neck anatomy, and hair. (I started a mohawk for the troll, but it just looked too unnatural).

I’ve found some resources to start seriously learning anatomy, so you can expect to see some more studies from me.

Critique is welcome.