Girl WIP

Hey there~
I’ve been meaning to try out stylised mesh hair for a while, and I’ve finally gotten around to it…
Anyway, here’s where I’ve gotten so far. Any feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

---------------------------Thumbnail----------------------

Attachments

1 Like

Hello!!! well you have a foundation problem! there is no hair on the back of the head, near the neck, and the hair is all messy, like she cut it anarchically. I think that maybe you did not use references because you think it is a artistic progress… but well I think you should use references, and make a plan.

Also it does not help the anatomy of the neck… for an stylized, character, and also a female, the muscles of the neck and the form of the shoulder could be more subtle. It feels like (in the neck) that she is going to have a panic attack.

Thanks for the quick reply, Tonatiuh~
Ah…I actually haven’t finished the hair yet, that’s why there’s no hair at the back.
But yup, I’ll tidy up the hair~ Initially, I was more concerned with filling up the bald spots, but you’re right, I should get some references and figure out what I want to do with her hairstyle…
Thanks for the tip about her neck and shoulders too!

I think it looks great so far!

You mind telling me how did you shape the hair strands? By hand or was it an automated process?

Thanks swift~ I followed this. https://cgcookie.com/tutorial/modeling-stylized-hair/ It shows a nice way of doing hair with curves :slight_smile:

Whelp…I realised that I should have probably posed her first before working on the hair…(probably loose, wild pigtails)
I decided to turn her into a little witch character! :slight_smile:
Still need to tweak her pose a little and fix some iffy deformations…

Procrastinating a bit on the hair…so I started adding more clothes instead :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

The clothes look quite messy, is it simulation? Maybe correcting by hand would work better (more control).
Is the upper one the final camera angle/pose? Her arm with the stick is perspectively shortened very strangely. I believe it is correct in 3d space, but from this camera angle and this arm position, it looks crippled.

Thanks for the feedback ania~ Repositioned the arm and smoothed out some wrinkles, but I think I’m going to keep a bit of messiness in the clothes…I did intend for the scene to be a bit windy-looking. I’ll probably re-simulate the tassel-y bit of the scarf at some later time though…

Anyway, and update and a clay render~

Looking good but I found the scarf disturbing when viewed from this angle. It looks like a third arm ATM. :slight_smile:

Thanks JoolsMcFly~ Yeah, I see what you mean about the scarf…I think I’m gonna re-simulate it~

Can’t wait to see the final render. Looks great now.

Wow ambitious challenge! The two biggest things to change for me would be to move her hand and wand a bit further away from her face. We cannot see so well where her right arm starts and ends.

The hat doesn’t seem to fit her head.

Also how the clothes fold around her hips, make her hips look reaaaally wide.

Also looking forward to how the final render will come along :smiley:

Thanks for your comments, OLG and alanplanes :smiley:
Another update! Finally had some time to work on her~
I think I’m going for more of a clay feel instead of realistic materials. Started throwing on some basic colours, but I haven’t really settled for a colour scheme yet…

Face closeup~

Nice! :DAdditions:.change the socks colors to white-green and the scarf to black-yellow like Beeline :D;.add some detailed textures to the dress.

Thanks for the suggestions, Odilkhan~ I tried out some more colours and I’ve settled on a green/purple palette for now.
I really do need to add something more to the dress though…(reminds me of an eggplant :P)

I like the anime-ish style, the eggplant girl.

Haha thanks Pwet~
I ended up redoing the dress entirely though, since it seem a bit too simple, so no more eggplanty-ness :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyway, here she is now~

Textured the new dress…with another colour change~