Glare effect not scaling with resolution

Hi guys!
I have a question: The glare effect seems to do something very perplexing. It doesn’t scale with the resolution! So when I’m working on a preview of something I can’t know how the glare effect will behave on my final render.

Example:

50% of 1980x1080

200%

Is there any way workaraound to this?
I can’t always work on my final render’s resolution because I only have a weak laptop to work with.
Any help greatly appreciated!:smiley:

try actually typing in the resolution vs using that percent thing. e.g. 600x400 for lowres, 2400x1600 for hires, i prefer 3072x2048.

i only ever final render at 3072x2048, but i think there might have been a time i noticed this as well.

These kind of things are not the strengths of Blender compositor. Not because it should be expected that everything scales with resolution (it shouldn’t in my opinion, Fusion users might argue against…), but because there is no fast and easy way to add expressions to knobs. You can use drivers to manipulate the Glare node parameters using some external value that you set based on the final resolution.

@Daedalus_MDW I tried that but it doesn’t solve the problem.
@ kesonmis Can you please elaborate on that? I barely know what drivers are. :slight_smile:
If you can point me to an article or tutorial about what you described it’d be a huge help! Thanks guys:)

Here is a (imperfect) solution. Using the gamma node you can expand the glare effect further, and using the exposure node you can keep the overall brightness pretty consistent.

turning down the value on the left reduces gamma, but also affects the exposure. Don’t turn it down too low, or it gets glitchy.