Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I used LW for many years and I had a love/hate relationship with it, from the dumb dongle and licensing issues (although customer support was great), the split program setup, to the wonderful renderer, I finally decided to seek other pastures. I don't regret switching to Blender full time at work, and it continues to amaze me with each release.

I'm a little sad that LW isn't in my workflow anymore, since I did some great things with it, but I can't afford to sit around and hope that the Next version will clean up it's many flaws... and then waiting forever to fix all the bugs that are bound to be present in this new iteration. Heck, for all we know, Next may be vaporware, and I can't throw all my eggs into that basket.

Overall, I really like not having to bug management for money when a new version of Blender comes out.
    Quicksand has no sense of humor

Though only a hobbyist, that pretty much sums up my experience. Like you, I do still have a soft spot for LW, but when all is said and done, it just wasn't moving in any sort of direction modeller wise for me. Blenders modelling setup is a real joy to use.

Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    you just outsource the whole thing to Canada and they in turn to Asia for arguably better results and less overall cost.
    *sigh* so true.

It's too bad, LW looks like it has a cool npr renderer and it's used a lot in Anime from what I can tell. I would like to give it a go but honestly, the modelling workflow in Blender is better and with some tweaking you can get the same render results with Cycles/Freestyle. I can't even bother to get a trial going on my computer for LW :/

Nah i think you confuse XSI with Lightwave. The anime industry and Japanese 3D companies in general where often using XSI.

Regarding Lightwave and Star Trek Discovery, i remember this first teaser of the show and how people where reacting to it (rightfully).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8h9uNeIB_M

Might it be possible that the negative backlash regarding the design as well as the quality of the cgi had anything to do with the decision to drop Lightwave for the show?

Originally Posted by Romanji View Post
    Nah i think you confuse XSI with Lightwave. The anime industry and Japanese 3D companies in general where often using XSI.

Regarding Lightwave and Star Trek Discovery, i remember this first teaser of the show and how people where reacting to it (rightfully).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8h9uNeIB_M

Might it be possible that the negative backlash regarding the design as well as the quality of the cgi had anything to do with the decision to drop Lightwave for the show?
    I don't think it had anything to do with Lightwave but the studio that they hired that was using Lightwave. This is not an indictment of LW itself but the studio who was using producing subpar work. It could be due to LW, possibly/maybe, but more likely it was due to the studio's lack of resources or ability to produce the level of quality that was needed within the given budget time constraints. Like I said you can basically have that stuff sent to Canada and they will give you phenomenal results at bargain bin (relatively) prices. You have to remember that there are a lot of effects houses in Canada, some of them basically across the street from each other, they are all bidding for work. Liek we like to say about Net Neutrality, competition makes for a better product.

So to me the issue was the studio that was using LW was producing TV level work when TV level has been fast approaching cinema level over the last few years. The Expanse, GoT, etc. that's what people are coming to expect in a TV show. Star Trek has to at least be on par if not better. Going back to Enterprise level of effects is not going to cut it anymore.

Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
    So to me the issue was the studio that was using LW was producing TV level work when TV level has been fast approaching cinema level over the last few years. The Expanse, GoT, etc. that's what people are coming to expect in a TV show. Star Trek has to at least be on par if not better. Going back to Enterprise level of effects is not going to cut it anymore.
    It could still be in part due to Lightwave, it would inevitably cost a lot more and take a lot more time to produce cinema-level effects using software that is generally seen as outdated in terms of rendering, animation, modeling, and VFX technology. I remember that impressive demo where someone created a photorealistic human eye in Lightwave, but it took a ton of work to get it to that point (and a decent contributor to that was limitations of the app, something like that could be done far more easily with the industry leaders such as Maya and Arnold).

Then there's the fact that Lightwave's rate of development is seen as very slow by today's standards (three years without even so much as a maintenance release is not a good sign for serious users, especially if the application. had a serious bug or regression that came with that last release).
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234