Low Poly/High Poly - Advices

Hello Blenderartists,

I´m planning to make a little project with CryEngine (latest version) soon, nothing fancy, so it should be easy for a beginner, but I got some problems real quick.

I want to model my game assets in Blender, then export them to .fbx and import them in CE. Therefore I tried to install CE, but had problems concerning the installer (trojan detected), and can´t reinstall it now because the launcher let things in the registry that I have to delete now manually… :mad:

But nevertheless, now to my problem: Like I already said, I want to model game assets. I stumbled over forum topics saying “model your asset in high poly, then texture them (with Normal maps etc.), then make the assets low poly and bake the high poly textures on them”, while others say “model as low poly as possible, then go texturing”.

So what? High Poly or Low Poly?
And what exactly is High/Low Poly? I mean, I find only things like “2000 tris for a character is LP/200’000 is HP”, which isn´t helping me at all (Because I don´t think CE could simply take 200k tris for a single character)!

I attached three screenshots with my first tries on making game assets. Is the polycount okay? Or do I have to make them High Poly first (texturing)? Or are they too high poly to be sandbox elements?
And do I need to connect all vertices together or is it allowed to have objects not connected to a face (e.g. screenshot 1: I haven´t connected the lamp/solar panel to the lamppost)?

Polycount:
-Streetlight: 296 tris;
-Public Address System (no instances): 608 tris;
-pylon: 80 tris.

Thanks all of you beforehand
NGCHunter2