Doing a Reddit AMA with the VFX Artists on Man in the High Castle (made in Blender!)

Hi everyone! I’ll get to the point ➜ https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5rvwo2/we_produced_the_visual_effects_for_man_in_the/

We worked in Blender to model, animate and render visual effects for Man in the High Castle. The AMA is being run by Barnstorm VFX (out of Burbank) and helped out by Theory Studios (we did many CG elements). We love Blender and really had a lot of fun making it! Feel free to bug us on the reddit thread :slight_smile:

I don’t use reddit, so I’ll ask here. How much was Blender used at Barnstorm and how big would you say the studio is? Are you guys the primary bidder or getting work from other studios that are offloading some of their shots? I am local as well and have some connections with a few of the other vfx houses around here, so seeing that there is a blender based one is interesting.

Just click the link and read it yourself.

How about you do the same and see what people are asking? Almost all the questions are asking about “working with swastikas” and “whats your inspiration”. These are pointless questions that shed absolutely NO light on the actual pipeline.

I wouldnt be asking if such information had already been laid out, but it hasn’t. Posting that information here is even more relevant. If you disagree, then agree to disagree.

The OP says they modeled, animated, and rendered with it. There is this AMA response too:

We’ve experimented with a variety of programs over the years, but for 3D work, we settled on using the open-source program Blender starting about 3 years ago. Its very unusual for vfx houses (at least in the US) to use Blender (as opposed to, say, Maya), but there are a number of great features that caused us to switch over to it. Blender has renderer called “Cycles” that we’ve used for our rendering of most of the 3D elements in High Castle and other shows. In order to deal with the huge rendering needs of High Castle, we set up cloud rendering using Amazon’s own AWS servers through Deadline, which allowed us to have as many as 150 machines working at a time to render some of the big sequences.

In addition to Blender, we occasionally use other 3D programs, including Houdini for particle systems, fire, etc. Our texturing and material work is done in Substance Painter, and compositing is done in Nuke and After Effects.

I need to watch The Man in the High Castle sometime. I read the book years ago. While I’m hazy on the details now, I remember liking it.

Thanks for the info. Much more answers are forthcoming now, which is good. The use of cycles is a nice detail here, since a lot of the vfx houses I a familiar with have gone over to Vray. NukeX and AE for motion graphics is not surprising.

At the time of my response they already answered your questions.

Some of it was, yes under a rendering question (assuming that’s true, timestamp shows it was pretty close timing wise). No on the second question. It shouldn’t matter if questions are asked here either. If its not answered, then its not answered. No sweat.