Will cycles ever be better for Interior?

Is there an update comming or is the priority almost 0?
Most of the time i need at least 10k samples to get the quality i need.
I cant get lower with bounces or clamp without it looks terrible.
Ofc i use Portals and the right tile size. I rlly love cycles but the rendertimes
are annoying for interiors. Sometimes it is really hard to hold the deadline when uneed +8 hours (with GTX 1080) for the render.

The ability for Cycles to efficiently sample interiors is unlikely to improve a whole lot in the near future. However, there is a very nice alternative in the works that will also allow for a major performance improvement (still a WIP, Lukas plans on getting the base done for inclusion in Blender 2.79).

That is really sad. Nik Collection has an awesome noise filter but you will always lose the fine details with this stuff.

The newer buildbot releases have this thing called “Light Sampling Threshold” in the sampling values. This allows you to dial up samples by a lot, and still get quicker render times. (I’m guessing it stops calculating for a pixel that goes below it.) So with something like .2 for the threshold settings, 2000 samples renders closer in speed to 500 samples without the threshold setting.

Not sure how much that helps, and I’m still new to that particular adjustment myself. But figure it might be worth a look since the ability to raise total samples value seems applicable in this particular case.

In some cases it seems to produce another kind of noise, but I’m not sure what exactly causes it. Basically like the firefly pixel problem, but with black pixels instead of white ones.

The light Sampling threshold works the same ( i think ) like for example : https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Lights+-+settings

I don’t think so, because not every low-energy sample is eliminated (with the remaining ones having their weighting value upped, so you don’t get any darkening anywhere like with Arnold’s low-light threshold).

In some cases it seems to produce another kind of noise, but I’m not sure what exactly causes it. Basically like the firefly pixel problem, but with black pixels instead of white ones

How many dark fireflies you get really depends on how high a value you use relative to the brightness of the scene.

In many cases, it’s worth having dark areas take longer to converge because it then will not take as long for spots that might need 1000’s of samples (and by then the noisy areas in dark spots are gone).

@MZGarmi in comparison to what. Plus give us a look at what you had to run for 10K passes with GTX 1080. Hell, I have a hard time envisioning 10K with a Intel Duo before diminishing returns are reached. A render would be nice with a self critique if you will. Hell, use the Metadata and save some typing.

Or, are you rendering for large hard copy prints. Most of us use cycles for the net. What resolution are you rendering at. See when you make several statements that
cycles sucks at rendering interiors all of this would be nice to know since we have known for years it struggles with interiors. As do quite a few render engines I understand. Now if five animated figures are in a interior to be frank I have not a clue. Hey, help us understand this blanket indictment of Cycles for an Interior.

///

All i want is 12 Light-Bounces, no need using clamp settings, activating caustics and this noise free in 4-5 hours in full-hd
resolution.

an easy way to get rid of noise is render at 4 or even 8 times the target resolution, then apply a small blur, and scale the image to the target resolution. branched path tracing is good for several lights. turning multiple importance off on lights sometimes helps.

setting the min and max bouces the same might help.

@MZGarmi, Hell don’t we all. In the first place clamping is part of using cycles with some of us clamping Direct: at 20 and Indirect: at 5 as a matter of routine. And, for walls baking is a option since Cycles has excellent baking. My interest is in animation but even for a still I would consider baking walls. Who knew a simple diffuse white wall can take forever to clear up. Caustics are a whole different matter and dependent on light. It seems to me I remember using a area light and a spot in exactly the same location for caustics but it’s been a while.

Then while Cycles is an amazing little render engine you might need V-ray. I never used it but visited the site and fell in love since I’m an individual who likes sliders. Just the way my mind works your mileage might vary. That being said Cycles is indeed something else given the resources of Blender. And, this forum is full of renders which could be used in national ad campaigns in my opinion. However, if professional considerations related to speed are paramount V-ray might be a alternative.

Someone mentioned clamping, the downside of clamping is that it tends to kill or significantly dull any caustic detail in your scene (because of how every sample is darker with no compensation for it in the weighting department).

Anyway, if anyone just wants a stupidly simple render engine where they do not have to do much to get renders (and if you have the money), you really can’t get any easier than Keyshot. That engine allows you to practically click together the shading and lighting at the expense of flexibility.

Ace Dragon you made the same remark more or less on clamping about two years ago and I thank you. If not for that remark I would have never seen a white wall. And, you are right once again. I should have said clamping at 20 - 5 is a good compromise for animation once the walls are baked in a interior.

As far as Keyshot I have never worked in a studio or agency. Or, a in house art department for that matter. But, in renders meant for engineers I can see Keyshot maybe filling the bill very nicely. Not to mention wham bam here it is in a environment where time is money. But, I don’t think a Archviz outfit would ever consider it. Duh, how’s that for stating the obvious. These render engines seem to find s niche is my point.