Mentor Wanted

Hello,

My name is Jacob Williamson and I am a commercial photographer/compositor out of Oregon. Check out my website here: www.jacobrwilliamson.com

I work with many clients creating imagery for websites, advertisements, print media, and more. I believe I have come to a point in my work that I need to augment my repertoire in order to stay unique and marketable.

When I started doing more research, I found that people were using CGI to create parts of final works. In many cases, I found photos that were completely done in 3D. So I decided that I needed to start including 3D in my work. However, the problem is that I must self teach, because I am far too busy to go to school and just don’t have the financial resources to go further into debt for it.

If you look at my website, you will see that I have always been drawn to elaborate, and sometimes unbelievable, scenes. It was only a matter of time before I started integrating CG. As you check my work out, keep in mind that I am a self taught photographer and retoucher. This means that I am by no means unfamiliar with teaching myself a complicated set of skills. However, I am finding that modeling/texturing is more than I can consume on my own.

In conclusion, I am wanting to find a mentor that can help guide me through the process of developing my 3D skills. I am primarily looking to do hyperrealistic modeling of machinery, mechs, robots, and other industrial type works. In addition, I would love to learn to texture using Blender and/or substance painter. I have also heard using Octane render is useful.

As far as frequency of meetings, I would defer to my mentor’s judgement. I feel like twice a week is helpful to get started when supplemented with homework.

I understand this is a daunting task so I would be happy to offer my services in any way.

• professional images
  • graphic design
  • photo mentoring

In addition to offering my services, I would be happy to chat about using your services to include in my current photographic work. Whether it is a personal project or a commercial client, I would be happy to team up and get our work out in the world!

Thank you so much! I look forward to hearing all of your stories and seeing what you all can do with your amazing digital artistic abilities!

Jacob

I don’t think you are going to find a voluntary mentor. Teachers aren’t free.

1 Like

Hi! Try online tutoring. It’s easy and affordable. Also you can try your luck with Champagne Slot. This will work, trust me.

Hi Jacob,
I can help you out. I like to use Skype to teach. By sharing screens I can show you how to do most anything you want at no cost. I have helped a number of others this way.
I am no guru by any means, but i have been working with blender for about 6 years now and am sure i can help you advance your knowledge.
PM me and i will send you my Skype name and we can get started.

1 Like