Animation stops rendering lights?

I went out this afternoon leaving a macbook pro, an imac and a PC rendering an animation. When I got back I checked all three to make sure things were going smoothly.

Around an hour before I got home the macbook started omitting layer 3, layer 3 is where I have all my lights. I stopped the process and started it again and the frames started rendering correctly again.

Luckily being only an hour there were only 20 or so frames I need to reproduce. But, does anyone know why this might happen? I have a cat, but I very much doubt she’d managed to open the laptop lid and press Shift+3!

Not a biggie, just wondered if this is known and how I might avoid it.

Thanks.

[Edit] Cycles.

And bugger me, the imac started doing exactly the same thing a few minutes later.

I followed the same process, closed blender, restarted and everything is correct again. Is there something common to OSX and/or Radeon cards I should be aware of?

I would consider caging the cat. And using the latest blender version. But keep your eye on the cat.

Yeah, the cat has been warned. I’m using 2.78.

The mac book that first had the problem did exactly the same thing again 2 hours later. It’s odd that the rest of the animation has been fine but both macs are suffering the same problem at around the same point, but after restarting they’re fine, then go wrong again. This has to be a blender issue.

If anyone can think of any way to pin point this problem please let me know, I’m happy to investigate.

Turn the samples way down to 5, and the render resolution to like 20 x 20 pixels. Render the whole thing in a couple minutes. Does is complete without issue? If it does you’re probably looking at a memory issue. If the problem still happens, you keep troubleshooting.