A Random Face

Most recent render:

Heeey!

A friend of my recently encouraged me to get into sculpting so I installed the zBrush demo and started sculpting this random face. When I finally was done sculpting the model I realized I had no idea how to properly texture, light and render a human face. Soeee, I hope you guys will help me out with that.

Render Cycles (SSS mixed with diffuse mixed with glossy using fresnel)

Diffuse texture (From Substance Painter) + AO

My biggest problem right now is that when I render the face it looks a bit ‘flat’ and emotionless and I am not sure why. By looking at the “Diffuse + AO render” you almost get a better ‘reflection’ of the guys emotions compared to the render. Maybe it has something to do with the large shadow under the guys eyebrow - not sure though…

Feedback, ideas and suggestions are very welcome!

I probably keep sculpting, but hey! Try sculpt in Blender, is a lot cheaper than zbrush, and if you are starting you don’t ned that much power. I sculpt in blender and I find it good enough.
Texture won’t help you if the sculpt is not all right. Light may help more.

His ears are too flat. They ought to stick out a bit more.

Thank you for the feedback!
I have sculpted a bit in Blender before and my zBrush trial period is running out soon, so I guess am going to use Blender from now on anyway. Soee, back into Blender and start sculpting again.

Oh… Yeah, his ears look really flat. Thank you for the heads up.

A couple of months ago, I kinda gave up on this project, but now I have decided to give it another shot. I find character creation reeeally hard and I hope I am on the right track now.

The face is fully rigged with shape keys and wrinkel maps - both the keys and the maps are controlled by bones.

Screenshot of the rig:

Nice expressions!
It might be a random face but personally it reminds me of the DooM 2 dude (somehow :slight_smile: )

Thanks! It was surprisingly difficult to make ‘readable’ expressions.
Hahah… well, I didn’t use the Doom 2 guy as reference, but I guess it could look like a young version of the doom guy.