Basic Hair simulation

I hope this is in the right place… I was tinkering around with blender at work the other day, and for kicks decided to fiddle around with hair simulation. Real basic stuff, since I really haven’t done much with that. I started with the cube and ran the simulation defaults while I was playing with hair dynamics to see how things behaved. This is using blender 2.78a 32 bit on an i5 2500 @ 3.4 ghz, 4 gb RAM and a plain 7200 rpm HDD.

When I got home I really wanted to continue on with the experimenting, so I fired up blender on my PC which is running blender 2.78 64 bit on an i7 2600k @ 3.8 ghz, 32 gb RAM and a raid 0 SSD. I thought it was going to be much more dynamic, but instead where the work computer was churning out 5 plus frames per second, mine came crawling on its knees with something ridiculous like 0.11 frames per second! :eek:

Any ideas on what is going on? I realize there are different versions of blender running here… could that be it?

Just to clarify… the i5 was running 2.73 and not 2.78. I’m wondering if it actually comes down to the OS, though. The i5 is on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit, whereas the i7 is on Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

Where all of the settings the same? Did you let the i7 cache the whole animation?; Any kind of dynamics will run slower the first time through the animation, because it’s actually doing the math, and caching the results in memory. Then, as long as you don’t change any settings, it just replays the simulation back out of memory.

Yes, that’s the part that is puzzling me. The caching part (the initial run through the sim) is going faster on the machine that I would consider at a disadvantage.

Did you try with 2.73 on the i7, then?
It’s hardly ever a good idea to switch Blender versions within an ongoing project. There might be settings/features in 2.78 that did not exist in 2.73 (and therefore are not set up correctly when opening the old file with the new version), which now have influence on the overall performance.

No, I didn’t, and that is a good point. I find it hard to believe, though, that it would have made that much difference. I’ll keep it in mind though as I move along.