Blender running slow after force shut down

My laptop overheated while I was running Blender while I was away. When it does that, it doesn’t let me turn my computer on or off, it just freezes on a black screen. I force shut off my computer while Blender was still running in the background. When I turned it back on, it was running unbelievably slow. Each action is delayed by 3 or 4 seconds from when I initially enter a command. It has never done this to me before. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, I even updated to the most recent version on Blender.org, still running stupidly slow. I have already taken advice to defragment all of my files, and clear up disk space, all of which have had no effect. Everything else is running smoothly except for Blender. I have a deadline to finish this project and need assistance. This started the night before last.

I’m just wondering if the stress has killed the laptop’s cooling system, forcing the processor to throttle down to a low speed. Or the graphics chipset. Have a look at the frequencies they’re running at.

The other possibility is that something’s amiss with the OS, maybe it froze at the right moment to damage some crucial files during read/write operations.

That’s what I was afraid of too but it was all running smoothly. I double checked and this was the first time my laptop has actually been shut off in a while. I couldn’t believe it, but I fixed it, with something as simple as a graphics driver update. I felt like banging my head into a wall.

Oddly enough, I thought about the cooling system too. When I got back and noticed my laptop had frozen, I realized someone had broken the vent to my fan.

All is well now, thanks for responding!

I’m glad this had a happy ending!