transfering hotkey configuration to different platform (osx to windows/pc)

Hi, i’m using blender on mac/osx. My question how can i transfer hotkey from osx to windows /pc ? What will happen to all the hotkeys using ‘command’ key since windows won’t recognize the ‘command’ key. Are they gonna break ?

Before i reply again, id like to ask you some questions.

1. Why do you use mac, being preference, work, or whatever else, i simply ask why.
  2. How often do you use Windows, if at all.
  3. on what platform did you start using blender.

These three questions is for me to know how you use blender, and will help me come up with a solution, as it heavily depends on what you’ve done.

1. Have you rebound keys to Command, and if so, which once. this is very important to me! and if any specific reason, why did you bind them to command. being easier access, or new functions.
  2. Have you tried using your key configuration on a Windows computer? if no, why do you wish to do it. do you expect to use a windows computer any time soon?
Now to the answer: I use mac and windows on a daily bases, mac at work, and windows at home. Exporting the key configuration between the platforms works just fine for Alt, but ive never tried it with Command. What i simply do is change the location on Alt and Command on the mac itself, so Command is treated as Alt, and Alt is treated as command.

What i believe will happen is that all buttons bound to Command will simply not work. reason being that when you export the key configuration form mac, you are simply exporting a text file, and windows will not recognize the Command button as any input and will give you an error.

However i believe this is entirely your own fault as blender does not use command on a mac at all, and any keys bound to Command has been put there by you manually. What i suggest you doing is to try it out, and if it fails, then rebind everything from command back to whatever button they are assigned to by default.

If you do not have access to a Windows any time soon, i will test this out for you tomorrow. you can expect an answer about 24 hours from now when i get back home unless anyone else has a solution.

Thanks,

1. Because I simply hate windows LOL. This is regardless the hardware. If i have to use pc hardware then i will prefer hackintosh or Linux. I love to work using osx.

2. As i remembered it was about 8 years ago i used windows for production . Since then i barely touch windows and not for doing something important. I don’t do heavy 3d (anymore), i mean i was 3d artist long time ago using softimage/maya etc on windows . 8 years ago, i switched to VFX compositing, i started using osx/linux and almost never touch windows anymore. I use Flame/smoke on Linux and Nuke on osx in daily project and everything run smooth.

3. The first platform i was using blender is Linux (long long long time ago) since the early version where the UI still look ugly. There’re couple time i try to get into blender that time, but that time i was just not into it. There are maybe 6 - 8 times i tried to get close but then i pull back because of many limitation that time. I never spent more than a week. The last trial is maybe 5 years ago.

I downloaded 2.7 about 2 weeks ago and i found it a way different. I feel i may stay even a lot longer now. i’m impressed and exciting with the improvement. Talking about my vfx job, at the same time, all the project suddenly request for 4K and 6K so i have to think about getting more muscle on my workstation. It’s the time to jump out of mac limitation. I need GPU power where not quite well supported in osx (not as good as in windows maybe). Cuda/sli is pretty good supported on window, so i may have to consider this option.

1. I almost customize all of the hotkey LOL. I change blender hotkey to match modo/maya. I had no plan to go to windows actually, that’s why i used ‘command’ modifier key.

2. No, I have no windows/pc now. But i plan to build dual gpu power so. If possible i want hackintosh/linux. i have experiences building hackintosh 8 years ago, and it’s pain in the *ss that day. Many hardware /driver compatibility problem etc. But today seems a lot easier.
    So in case God wants me to use windows then i need to plan to remap my hotkeys :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response.

Ok, i do believe i have a solution for you. it involves exporting the .PY file from blender on ur mac and convert into a text based form, then converting all words which say from “Command” (or equivalent) to “Alt”. as for everything you’ve mapped to alt, i believe you will have to rebind them elsewhere.

thank you for the information, i will come back to you tomorrow or as soon as i have the solution. it will take time as i need to test things out and i dont have access to a Mac AND computer at the same time.

Thanks a lot . This is a great information . I will keep it for now since i’m still waiting to buy the PC hardware end of this month maybe. Plan to use dual 980 ti (1080 is not supported yet in hackintosh). Using 980ti i can still dual boot hackintosh or windows 7/8. Still do some research to pick up the perfect motherboard match etc.

Thanks, have a nice day.

oh my god my greatest apology, i forgot about this. ill take note of it and come back to you on monday with a solution, really sorry.