Question about modeling water

Hey guys,

Could someone tell me where to start in replicating the humans in this image?

I want to create a couple of human forms using water complete with splashes and everything but I am not really sure where to begin.

sculpt the human, and find a cleaver way to do the particles.

So its just a matter of sculpting and assigning a water texture/material to the human?

The particle system may prove to be difficult as I am not well versed in particles let alone such intricate and unique ones!

You don’t have to do it all in 3d (as long as you want to do a single image). Those trails oft waterdrops will be much easier when added later in 2d.

yea doing it in post is also a good alternative. mind you Jacob, i suspect you are very new to blender, in which case i strongly suggest you to let this project sit on the shelf for a couple months. it is a Very hard project indeed, and if im right in guessing you’ve not used blender for longer than 3 months with no professional training then i will render this near impossible without tutorials.

try to do props, guns, medieval stuff, stylised fantasy stuff.
go on artstation.com for inspiration.

im really sorry to burst your bubble, but im trying to be realistic.

I am very new to Blender indeed! I had not delusions of this being an easy project, but I did want to get a sense for the approach I should when the time comes. I like to work my way up to a goal and this will be one of mine!

You could try sculpting a human figure rig it for animation and animate it doing the action of your choice. Assign the glass shader to the figure and adjust its IOR to room temperature water. Then it’s a matter of assigning a particle emitter to the figure choosing from which faces you want it to emit and tweaking the settings for gravity, viscosity, ect.

Run the animation and the particle sim at the same time check the result and adjust as needed. But if you are a beginner all this is probably way over you head. :expressionless:

mind you hes new to blender… a ton of hard words in there.

Ya true, but none of that’s really exclusive to blender besides maybe the glass shader part. Knowing where to find stuff is the hardest part. Which brings to mind a question are you new to 3D software in general or do you have previous history with another program Jacobw?

As you have mentioned after this quote, it is a goal for you to build up to. While the particle system may prove to be difficult, it is a part of what you have to learn to achieve results like this as particles are the best, and common, way to go with achieving the water splashing/flinging/whipping results.

Note that it is rare to find a polished or exciting render that only ever uses one skill - generally they combine a mixture of texturing, modeling, visual effects, lighting, post-processing, etc.

I am new to Blender and 3D in general. However, I have been deep in tutorials and personal projects for about 3 months.

I am a self taught commercial photographer/retoucher and I learned that by absorbing everything I could. I usually latch on to a few great educators and branch off on my own when I feel like I can problem solve.

In my limited view, I would probably sculpt the figures in Blender and give them a nice water material. I would then photograph splashes later to add the excess water. This would allow me to focus on the goal of sculpting as well as proper texturing!