Amanda Seyfried portrait

Hi Guys, I’m learning to get better at rendering portraits. After many months of watching blender tutorials and practising likeness sculpts, I’ve got to a stage where I’m happy to share the results.

Notes:
Blender cycles 500-1000 samples
Hair particle system - tried to get away with few hair as possible as they take ages to render (2 hours), each strand is ~10 vertices, total of 1000 children, use several particle groups to get the desired look
Skin - SSS shader(shallow, mid, deep layers) with PBR glossy shaders
Sculpted in blender/zbrush, skin pores using alphas

8 Likes

Very Well done- lots of potential here!!! There’s things to improve, but I’ll let someone with the knowledge point out where to. I think her skin, especially neck is bit flat, maybe needs more spec/gloss to it. Considering the face alone, also shows how much the fabrics are killing the overall image (their shaders too are very flat/diffuse) or maybe lighting could be improved. I think it needs more/thinner hair…you could always render out separate image of just hair+ replacing other shaders with simplerones , to get that image out and then just mix it with the/this base render? Is it finished-finished? :slight_smile: always nice to see recreations, as they’re so difficult!

Very very nice! Great likeness! The hair is so so… But man! Big wow efect!

Really well executed… Love it, it’s actually looks real

fine work!!! I congratulate!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to improve the hair and find ways to render it more efficiently

Beautiful work!

The background seems to have harsher shadows. How about duplicating that on the model?

Oh man, you do very well !

Superb job on the likeness. Hair is great, love the skin too.

Immediately recognizable, love it, five stars !
Now :

• the lighting is quite dull
  • the SSS is hardly noticeable. Have you used some SSS layers and maps ?
  • the eyes are a little bit too red.
  • Have you optimized your render time ? (branched path tracing, auto tile size, number of bounces, caustics disabled)

Would you share the model, please?