Andrew Price did it again !

I can’t do anything about the title. But I changed the intro post. There are many trolls in this forum.
Andrew Price, did it again in that sence he made me aware of the color management of Mr. Sobotka.
Notting new perhaps, but fo me it was a discovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_T6zV6LUY&t=63s (russian language)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9AT7H4GGrA&t=1299s (A.Price)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aByZrsE1J0w (G.Alexandrov) Not about Filmic, but about color management in blender

Never did I think that a topic like this awaken so much anger an trolling.

SO AGAIN MODERATOR, PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD

Ok, Andrew Price discovered tonemapping in the year 2017. And he made a brand new video with many misleading informations.
I was sitting there and said “WHAT??” and quickly turned the video off. :evilgrin:

So do you watch his video so that you can have something to bitch about?

I never liked his stuff so I hardly ever watch his video’s or visit his site it’s not that hard to avoid things you don’t like on the very very wide internet, so I really don’t understand why you both taking snipes at him.

What is wrong in the videos? Just curious.

@cekuhen: I didn’t watch full video, but the comparison of dynamic range at the beginning is plane wrong. The dynamic range of the camera is mostly dependent on the signal to noise ratio. If you have a better camera (with a better dynamic range) you can recover more from the shadows untill the noise is too visible. Blender is designed to work in 32bit float - this means that in your render you can have very dark shadows and extreme highlights at the same time. If you have a noiseless render the dynamic range can in theory be almost infinite.
Even without the Troys filmic blender you can tonemap your renders before you save them as 8bit jpegs. You can even do that directly in the blenders compositor. Or you can use any other tonemapping software. It has been available to blender artist since forever and it is definitely not some hidden secret.

Btw.: I guess that the mentioned 8 stops of blenders dynamic range is calculated from the 8 bit jpeg output (2^8=256) but according to wikipedia it shoud be around 11 stops because of the gamma curve.
(Many JPEG files embed an ICC color profile (color space). Commonly used color profiles include sRGB and Adobe RGB. Because these color spaces use a non-linear transformation, the dynamic range of an 8-bit JPEG file is about 11 stops; see gamma curve.)

If you want to realy understand the subject start digging in posts in this forum that refer to the subject and also in blender exchange searching for troy_s post that are seriously educating.

Although this tutorial was much better to what I was expecting from Andrew but I still feel that, as I mentioned before, he’s not the proper guy for this kind of subjects, that demand some serious knowledge.

No intention to dis Andrew. His value is acknowledged and he’s maybe the Guru when it comes in newbie, introductory, catchy Tutorials.

The one thing that I spotted and really don’t understand is that he’s clamping his indirect bounces at 18!?
Why? This doesn’t break the linearity of filmics dynamic range? Why 18 and not 15 or 25?

The other thing that I’m also not sure is that when he’s talking about increasing his light value and using the False Color mode he’s not giving any real info.

I think the best method so far for correctly exposing your scene is the photographic approach that Lazy Virus suggests in this thread of mine.

And because Andrew is not visiting this forum often for reasons he had explained I’m not expecting him to answer any time soon. If someone more educated can answer please do?

I think Troy James Sobotka is the one who deserves the credit. I didn’t consciously know Blender’s color management was so bad at default. But I always knew the tones weren’t always that great. Had to pump up the exposure and edit the gamma a lot, which is fine sometimes, but I really like how it’s more default now and more accurate because an film industry expert in color decided to spruce up the color management in Blender. I’ll try it out soon.

Okay, that was informative and I’m glad I watched it. The title made me think it was a Q&A vlog so I skipped it yesterday. Turns out it was a video on an area I haven’t read up on yet.

I knew it it, it would be this kind of reaction to it. You say whatever you about this, but I have for years struggling with dark scenes, filling up the scene with art. lights. Andrew gave most of the credit to Troy for Filmic. I feel that many here at the forum is hostile at everything that comes from Blender Guru. For me you can come with all this bl bla about technical stuff, I see what I see.

I challenge you to proove what you say instead, then i will beleive you

@asimacio: Just read my post (#5) in this thread.

I normally ignore threads like this, but do we need to start a dedicated topic on smearing a fellow Blender artist? Leave him alone. This thread should be closed.

Ok so you make fun of me ? no problem with that. I could be childish as you and say that your images at your site is rubbish, but they are not, they are very nice. You did a good job there. They could be better, but overall good.

It’s here around since quite a lot of time. It’s not that BA is a superduper informative place, but it’s ok to give it an eye from time to time.

The video is meh. I honestly expected more from his 3 months of study of the subject.
There are some quick-start educational materials released before waaay more informative than this 30 min video.

The only good things are that a wide audience now talk about it (even tho we’re talking about an audience who’s level is more or less the one that write comments like “Can you make a tutorial about how to model a unicorn? It’s urgent, I need it please”) and secondly, I have to confess that the scene where the big boss gets butthurted for someone daring to say that something in blender is not good has its charm.

I suggest you to make some research, because with this video only you’ll end up into:
“Hey mom, look at me! I’m doing photorealism!”

https://maryrefugeofholylove.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/heart-icon.gif
Remember guys that this method is scene-related. You have to take care of a couple of things:

1. It could be a start point as it could be definitive to setup your light settings. I mean, there are situations where you have to overexpose or underexpose, for example when the subject of the scene is not just one.
  2. I’ve talked about light energy and not light value, because I mean the whole amount of light energy.
    With multiple light sources it’s obvious that the exposure compensation must be distributed in proportion to the single contribution to keep the light source’s contribution ratio.
  3. It is supposed that you know that the light behave linearly following the inverse square law. If you use the famous dirty tricks to speed up your render at cost of accuracy, you could end up with unexpected results and lose all the benefits of filmic.

For the rest, enjoy!

You have a link by chance? I’d like to read up more on the subject.

Take a look here
and here
and here
and obviously here
and if you have the patience to read and the will to make questions… at here
plus the SunBurn’s thread linked before where Troy explains well some stuff.

These are just quick-start materials.
I’m tryin to find all the stuff I’ve read from my browsers’ history so if I find other interesting things that I’ve read
I’ll add it. But I can link you only fragmented infos taken here and there.
Then if you feel the need to go deeper you’ll have to talk with people who can suggest you other more technical reads, not surely me.

What bugged me about the video was the part at 10:40 where he wants the community to push for the integration of filmic into master when in reality it is already in the target list for 2.79 (https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.7#Suggested_targets) ie it is already settled that it will become default :confused:

Oh Please don’t make his marketing crap as a matter of bad people vs BI/BF because it’s clear that he’s just asking for thumbs up on the video. This could just feed fanboysm.
We know it’s in target list, you know it, it’s ok. Move on. Who cares?

Thanks man

Thanks also for this LazyVirus