Linked blends mixing bug

Does anyone know about this bug in blender 2.78,a,b . It is quite strange, sometimes my linked libraries are mixing with each other. For instance - blender starts to search “trap_01” object in player.blend file, but the object “trap_01” is in traps.blend. It is the same with everything that is linked - materials, images, meshes… When it happens, the blend that I’m working on becomes totally unusable and this costs me a lot of time to redo everything.
When it happens it happens to a lot of data - objects, meshes, materials…everything becomes totally fu*ked up.

I can fix some of the mixed data…but only if it is directly linked to the blend I’m working on. But sometimes the mixing happens in the blend that is linked to the working blend, because it(linked blend) has linked blend in it too. When this happens the working blend is not allowing me to edit the linked - linked mixed data. :smiley: …confusing ehh?

Example - I have “level.blend”(working blend) and I’m linking “player.blend”, which has “HUD.blend” linked in it. When mixing happens in “level.blend”, I can not fix broken links in “level.blend” that are connected to “HUD.blend”.

Yes, I have noticed this, however in my case it just spews up lots of warnings, but it doesn’t actually break the links. Generally by editing the linking in the outliner, I can squelch the warnings. Often just by right clicking the library name and selecting ‘reload.’

There are some strange issues with 2.78. You may also notice that the grid floor in the 3D view sometimes is not a grid (lines go at funny angles).

I never saw that. I do not use 2.78 so often. But I do not really understand the issue yet.

Usually I link either groups or complete scenes containing groups (to get multiple groups with one link step).

I created a demo file with such a structure:

• cubes.blend with group “Cube” containing a Cube

• suzannes.blend with group “Suzanne” containing a Suzanne

• toruses.blend with group “Torus” containing a Torus

• objects.blend
    [LIST]

• links in group “Cube” from cubes.blend

• links in group “Torus” from toruses.blend

• with a group “Objects” containing an instance of group “Cube” and “Torus”.

[/LIST]

• Master.blend
    [LIST]
  • links in group “Cube” from cubes.blend
  • links in group “Suzanne” from suzannes.blend
  • links in group “Objects” from objects.blend

[/LIST]

read blend: C:\Users\Monster\linking test\Master.blend
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\cubes.blend', '//cubes.blend', parent '<direct>'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\suzannes.blend', '//suzannes.blend', parent '<direct>'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\objects.blend', '//objects.blend', parent '<direct>'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test	oruses.blend', '//toruses.blend', parent 'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\objects.blend'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\cubes.blend', '//cubes.blend', parent '<direct>'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\suzannes.blend', '//suzannes.blend', parent '<direct>'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\objects.blend', '//objects.blend', parent '<direct>'
Info: Read library:  'C:\Users\Monster\linking test	oruses.blend', '//toruses.blend', parent 'C:\Users\Monster\linking test\objects.blend'

The structure I get (Outliner\Blender File):

I know from the past that there are difficulties when renaming blender files. All the linking .blend files need to be updated manually. This can be a pain in the A… .

Can you post a demo file (zip indeed)?

You may also notice that the grid floor in the 3D view sometimes is not a grid (lines go at funny angles)

Hah, never noticed that :slight_smile:

I never saw that. I do not use 2.78 so often.

That is 3rd time for me for a week. I said it is strange because I can not reproduce the bug on will. It just happens sometimes on reload. No…wait, now while I’m writing this…I think most of the time it happens when blenderplayer crashes and you need to close blender or it closes on its own. The next time you open the file it is messed up.

The structure I get (Outliner\Blender File)

Now image, next time you open the file blender says Suzanne is in objects.blend and Torus is in suzanne.blend and shows warnings the objects can not be found(ofcourse it can not :)…because they are not there)

Ah, now I understand.

This sounds like list items that have a relation by index. Which is dangerous when deleting or adding elements in one list without doing the same thing at the other. But this is nothing I really can point at.

I’m a bit confused. When crashing Blender should not write to the files (unless it crashes while writing).

Ah, now I understand.

This sounds like list items that have a relation by index. Which is dangerous when deleting or adding elements in one list without doing the same thing at the other. But this is nothing I really can point at.

I’m a bit confused. When crashing Blender should not write to the files (unless it crashes while writing).

I guess for bug fixing it is necessary to reproduce the behavior on demand.

I guess for bug fixing it is necessary to reproduce the behavior on demand.

Yep, I’m gonna try to reproduce it at will these days.