Ok...here goes nothing. Critique the render

So putting aside the aerodynamics…focusing on strictly the render…yay? or nay? you might have to click on the picture since the preview quality looks terrible.

Attachments

your meshes look great, but I would do some work on your materials, maybe look into a car paint material, something more than just a diffuse mixed with a glossy.

its ironic you say that cause it actually has a car like paint on it. I think the lighting and environment isnt letting the material shine quite right. In the first photo you can see the reflection of the engine off the fuselage, but youre right…I need to bring that effect up.

I think the lighting and environment isnt letting the material shine quite right

I felt the same. It sort of looks like the top image is lit in a studio, rather than in the sky.
Not sure how to remedy that, maybe others could advise?

The first image.My problem is with highlights, they look to smooth and expanded to be true. Try to add sun and get some very sharp highlights. Also, is your car paint material using any fresnel? I yes, try and set it to 3.
The second looks quite ok.
The third has the same problem in highlights as the first.
Excellent job!!

I only see an issue with the first render. The right engine (the top of it) has some speckles almost like there wasn’t enough samples or something. Seems like you have a light or a lamp right there maybe you should turn down the power of it or maybe move it to the back a little.

Would that ever actually fly??? Aside from that, looks pretty good. Also, is that Kylo Ren flying it?!?!

WOW didnt see that before XD

really great design, maybe it won’t fly but sure it’s cool to look at!!!

i think panosz is right, looks like fresnel isn’t affecting the material much

and i would also add an enviroment texture or the glossy shader won’t have anything to reflect. if you can use the background image that’s best, otherwise something similar could do

still, great work!!!

and if it doesn’t fly Kylo Ren can take care of that with the force :slight_smile:

Yes, Kylo Ren is quite strong in the force. But not strong enough to win a fight with a total just-learned-about-the-force-on-the-way-back-from-the-grocery-store-girl-who-might-be-his-cousin-or-sister person? May the Force be with you!

The only things I would change are:

• Add a normal map to the paint material. The airplane surface is too smooth, and some very subtle imperfections would make it more realistic. In most airplanes, it’s possible to see rivets all over the surface… It may be your choice to hide them by design, but they help giving a more plausible look.

-The paint material is somewhat too reflective… Are you using Fresnel or Layer Weigth?

• Some metalic surfaces (wings and turbines) look very polished. Normally they would show more anisotropic reflections… but again, it can also be a design decision.

also, lighting is off… back VS plane

1 - sun shines from left, plane is lit from right
2 - yellow light scattering from clouds behind & above, plane is lit yellow from below where the blue sea is
3 - ground is scattering green, instead the plane is lit yellow again

advice
look again & again at your work,
take some time (day, two or a week…) to rest your ‘mind&vision’, then go observe the work again

while working, one falls easily into the hole - putting to much attention on a specific detail,
forgetting - loosing touch with the work as a whole :wink: