Border select didn't make the selected object as an active object

Here’s the case , i create 2 objects, a cube and a sphere and do these steps :

1. I right click to select the sphere. So now with sphere selected (hightlighted), i can see the status at the left bottom of the viewport showing that the sphere is the active object. So far it’s working as i expected.

2. Now i deselect all object so the sphere is no longer hightlighted, but the status at the bottom still showing that sphere is active. Now if press ‘tab’ the sphere will go into edit mode. I deselect all object , why sphere is still active ?

3. Continued from no.2 above , go back in object mode , with all object deseleted (nothing is hightlighted). I make a border select to the cube, so the cube now the only object which is highlighted. But the status at the bottom still showing ‘sphere’ is active. If i move the object (press g) then i can move the selected object (cube) but If i press tab (i’m expecting to bring the cube to edit mode because it’s selected), the sphere is going into edit mode. Why sphere still active ? the border select didin’t make the object i pick to be the active object , i have to right click to really make it active. Don’t you think something is wrong ? i can accept this behaviour and get used to it. But is it designed on purpose and why ? or this is a bug ?

When i select an object , with no other objects are selected , of course i’m expecting to make the current selected object as an active one to play with (move , edit etc) , no matter i right click or border select. Is the border select is broken ?

1. The sphere is still the active object because its the only one in the scene. Even if you deselect the sphere(You can use “A” to select everything and deselect everything) it will still be the active element until you spawn in another object and select that one. Once you select that other object, that will be the active one.

3.The box select is working fine, remember the active object will have a yellow outline while the other selected objects will have an orange outline. You might just want to right click instead because I don’t think box select makes the object you selected the active because usually box select is for when your in edit mode selecting vertices for example. It can be used for selecting objects but be careful.