Branch/fork/patch - advice needed!

Over the past few years I’ve developed a handful of add-ons, custom settings, and other tools for Blender at my studio. It’s at the point where I don’t want to have to upgrade Blender and go through each computer by hand to copy files, set User Settings, etc every time, so I’m thinking I want to start compiling from source instead and distribute a pre-configured Blender to our workstations.

I’m not sure how to integrate my own changes though. Should I create a patch? I’m not sure if I have the privileges to create a local branch, and forking seems like overkill for something like this. I’m new to customizing other projects - typically I just host repos for my own stuff - so any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Anyone can create a local git branch, then if you have code you think would be worth having in the main branch of Blender, do a git diff and then you can put the patch in the Blender patch tracker - https://developer.blender.org/differential/ - and get feedback.

Yes you can easily create your own branch . Look for basic git tutorial . Blender have documentation oh how to build blender . DO it in your local branch . As letterRip said if you want submit a diff patch .