Question about machine for rendering?

Hi guys, I’m doing architectural visualization for one company. We are thinking to buy few machines and to render our animations on them. But we don’t know whether we should go with the CPUs or GPUs. I believe you know more about this, so can you tell us the advantages of both CPU and GPU and what would be the best option for us.

We have really big scenes to render so please take that in mind. I’ve googled about this and it seems that if the scene is too big or complex the GPU may run out of memory.

We thought for the beginning to buy 5-6 E5 2670 processors and to put them in three machine or two GTX 1080 GPUs.

What would be the better option in terms of performance and what do you advise?

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

First off, check what your really big scenes mean in relation to memory consumption in Cycles. If it is near or over the GPU memory you have no point in even considering rendering on GPUs.

@kesonmis Thank you for your reply. For the last scene I did, it was written 1584.98M and the peak was at 1680.88M.

So maybe we should go with the CPUs? :confused:

For professional work, you should never rely on just GPUs. There’s just way too many problems with them (just take a look at how many GPU related threads there are in this here forum).

You should have a baseline of CPU power that ensures you can get the job done. You should also have a plan to rent out extra CPUs through services like Render.st (or similar), should a tight deadline approach.

There’s several reasons to favor CPUs over GPUs in general, and I have outlined them here. Cycles is not particularly well suited for Archviz, since interior rendering is rather inefficient in it. On the CPU, there’s a much wider array of software available (though you probably will stick with Cycles because of superior integration).

We have really big scenes to render so please take that in mind. I’ve googled about this and it seems that if the scene is too big or complex the GPU may run out of memory.

If your scene doesn’t fit the GPU memory, you can’t render. If there’s some odd driver problem, you can’t render. If there’s a GPU-related bug in Blender that only happens in your scene, you can’t render. Fixing these issues yourself may cost a lot of time or may be impossible.

Granted, any bug in Blender may ruin your day, but a “general” bug (if properly reported) may be fixed more readily than a GPU-related bug (i.e. one that doesn’t show up on the CPU). CPUs are simply much better to debug and develop on.

We thought for the beginning to buy 5-6 E5 2670 processors and to put them in three machine or two GTX 1080 GPUs.

Don’t make it an either-or, get that baseline of CPUs and put good GPUs in your workstations. If it can’t be both, go with the CPUs.

What would be the better option in terms of performance and what do you advise?

You are running a business, you should value stability and reliability much more than performance. Still, if you look at performance in the BI benchmarks, you can observe that CPUs come out on top several times. This isn’t reflected in that BMW benchmark everyone is rendering. Complex shaders, Subsurface Scattering, lots of transparency - all of these have significant performance implications on the GPU. That assumes your GPU can render the scene at all, of course.

Thank you for such a great answer. I’m sorry for late reply, I was away and I wasn’t able to reply.

I’ve read your posts on the link your provided and many things are much clearer now.

Yes, I forgot to mention stability. Stability is as important for us as performance because we don’t want to have some crash or unexpected error in the middle of the project.

We’ll probably first go with CPUs only. Since I see that you really have knowledge about this, can I ask you if you could recommend some configuration for our machine?

We were planning to spend around 2500-3000$ for our first machine.

It’s going to do the easy work and testing and the hard work will be sent to render farms. We were planning to use Dual Xeon E5 2670 processors. But we don’t have that much knowledge about technical things, so can you recommend some configuration that you think would fit the best in our price and need?

Thank you in advance!