Does a object AI need an armature for only a few bones to work properly?

Hi,

I was looking back at a file I created last year. And I had setup an arm on an AI character, but it doesn’t work properly. Is the best way for one to work is have an actual skeleton setup even if the rest of it won’t be needed?

If I rotate it, it no longer targets an enemy AI. So it doesn’t work, it should be able to point to what ever enemy it has targeted. I haven’t a clue about that.

Does a object AI need an armature for only a few bones to work properly?

if you use bones, yes else the bones wont work.

Is the best way for one to work is have an actual skeleton setup even if the rest of it won’t be needed?

No, you can use bones for the parts that you want to animate, and you can use the root bone to weightpaint/parent everything you dont need to it. so lets say arms you rig them with bones, body can be parented to the root bone, saving you alot of bones (hips feet etc)

If I rotate it, it no longer targets an enemy AI. So it doesn’t work, it should be able to point to what ever enemy it has targeted

No clue why you keep making new posts thought BPR explained how it works.

I have no knowledge of skeleton setups. I did this last year.

And not refering to a person character. You may remember the LIS project I did, but I couldn’t release the mini games or well I did but, that was soon deleted as I couldn’t do what I wanted to do without the LIS film content. New Line Cinema refused to let me use anything.

I released some files a few weeks back, which don’t contain copyright material, at least may be one image, but meh who cares.

So the robot has an arm, it fires a bullet, but it doesn’t move or adjust to target a floor enemy or an enemy on legs such as the player. That is what I’m getting at.

The arm has emptys to get the arm firing. I also noticed when walking to the robot, the arm doesn’t moving one direction, like if the player has some kind of influence by bumping into it. That shouldn’t happen.

You use bones when you have a skin with deformations (an Arm usually shows deformations when bowing). Alternative you can use shape-keys for deformation. This is useful when it would require too much bones to get the same effect.

Typically you play an armature action to let the arm point into different directions. These directions are relative to the armature (not relative to the scene). This means to point to another object [an AI is a behavior concept rather than a position in space] you need to convert the desired direction into armature space. In other words you need to consider the orientation of the armature when playing the arm animation.

to be honest i have no clue either on how to get arms aiming ingame, in 3d view its pretty easy.

Here a simple demo of 2 seperate objects parented to a bone, those bones are then parented to each other and the last bone has an trackto constraint, this works in 3d view, but not ingame.

parent 2 objects.blend (481 KB)
(move the selected bone or the empty)

I guess, then the arm just has to be remain in a position in order for it to target the player. But in the file I have the arm just doesn’t stay put in position.

Thank you Cotax for you’re input.

But in the file I have the arm just doesn’t stay put in position.

you have it parented?
did you scale the arms outside of edit mode? hit alt+s to scale it back to default, or hit ctrl+alt and apply scale to keep it as is.

The whole arm with the emptys is parented to the bone, so yes the bone is the parent, attached to the rest of the object.

It will fire at an AI but only if the arm is in that direction. No worries, I understand the reality of the whole idea of how the theory of it should work, in the end, I can’t release anything so its just a personal project. I doubt anyone really cares.

Thanks again.