loss file and gone !

I’m on window 10 and SSD

I was working on a file then there was a sudden loss of power!

when power came back I re open the file but then all the data inside was totally loss
even the blend1 file was empty !
it basically open like my default file for blender

anyone experienced this kind of error?
and is it a bug ?

thanks
happy bl

If you had a power loss then you lost everything in memory. Blender does auto-saves, so you might be able to recover it that way. Look in the File menu (3D viewer) for the recover auto-saved version.

could be
but why did the original and blend1 file loss all data too ?

thanks
happy bl

Not sure. I accidentally overwrote a blend file the other day and tried to retrieve it through the blend1, but the accidental save also changed it for some reason. I lost a bit of work.

in my case I did not overwrote it
I was still working on the file when the power failure happened
and then that was it file end blend1 loss everything

not certain I think it is a bug

thanks
happy bl

I did check the local TMP folder
and file was not even there

is there another location for the auto save ?

what is the keep session ?

thanks
happy bl

Hi

Turn tooltips on…Place arrow in the box to see what it do…:slight_smile:

Tai

The lost data could also be caused by file corruption due to the sudden loss of power (which can always happen when any software is used), I don’t think it’s entirely something that the Blender devs. can code away.

In extreme cases, your computer suddenly losing power can lead to the whole system getting corrupted (or at least far more prone to errors). The best way to not have this problem in the future would be to prevent it by way of connecting your machine to a UPS (which would kick in during an outage and at least give you enough time to save your work and do a proper shut down).

Window is supposed to detect and take some minimum actions to save some data’s and be able to return to normal operations
Win 10 was fine did not have any problem

it is just that the blend file and the blend1 file had all their data’s erased somehow!
and file was left empty

I mean I think there should be something left like whatever was there before loosing the file
but no everything was erased !
which is not normal I think and that is a a bug I think

does blender make a copy to work with from the original file or work directly in the original file?
looks like it to me then if you loose it then file is lost then !

happy bl

Your Temp file is not touched.

Rickyblender…Try this…

Add Susan…In edit drag her ears up…:slight_smile:

Blender right corner click x…Meassage pop up…Click ok…Go to Your Temp dir and find the quit…Blendfile.

Load it there You have Susan…It’s there even you haven’t saved Your Blendfile…:slight_smile:

Same happen if Blender closse unexspected…Puff Puff

Tai

I understand the tmp file
have to remember this
have to be done when you re start first time otherwise temp file is lost
other one is auto save every 2 minutes

there was a auto save in tmp local tmp folder which is fine
that loss only a few things

but I was taking about the original file in a folder were the inside data was totally loss!

thanks
happy bl

Ohhhh…Ohhhh…???

You have many question I only answered a few of them…:slight_smile:

Think You mix thing up…Tmp…Is for output files.

Temp dir is for temporary file…:slight_smile:

Yea…And in the Blendfile 1 too…?

That’s strange it should not happen…Are You sure you haven’t made some strange thing…Pressed a wrong button or ???

Puff Puff

Tai

when my computer went down cause of power failure
I mean I re started when the power came back and simply re open the file
and data’s was gone totally empty same thing with the blend1 file!

never really seen this before mind you I never loss power with a blend file open before that event!
so strange experience indeed!

thanks
happy bl

I believe that is only true when Windows gets kernel panic or some other error that results in things like blue screens.

I don’t really get why you expect a program to respond if your computer loses power, an event like that is instantaneous and so there’s nothing you can do in code that tells an application to do something when power is running out (because the PC would be off well before anything can get done). The best that could be done is to possibly make the data more resistant to corruption if an unexpected event occurs (but how much improvement is possible, I don’t know).

Short answer, get a backup power supply for your machine so it doesn’t happen again.