How to change vertex group object data without changing weight paint? (2)

I have the same problem as the guy in this thread, which was unfortunately closed without a proper answer:

I have vertex groups to which I would like to add or remove some vertices. The vertices have different weight colors in the area and I mustn’t change the weight color at all! I can delete vertices from the group, no problem. However if I wish to add a vertex to the group, I can’t do without changing the weight of the whole group… and turning it completely red if the slider is set to 1.

“Weight paint and vertex groups are the same thing”: Totally false! I can have a correct paint on a vertex group, but if I don’t have the right vertices selected in the vertex group, the model will be fucked up in the game.

So basically what I need is to be able to add a vertex to a vertex group without adding any weight information.

Modifying vertex groups is a big plague in Blender. Any tip?

Supply a demo blend file and show what you are having problems with.

So basically what I need is to be able to add a vertex to a vertex group without adding any weight information.
You have to add weight information but that weight can be zero. You can add selected vertices to a vertex group with zero weighting by setting the weight slider to zero and pressing assign.