Odd topology?

Tbird.blend (511 KB)

Hey guys,

I am following a tutorial on this model but I ran into some issues that I am having trouble solving.

1. My smoothed model does not look nearly as clean as his does. I am concerned it is either something I did, or a setting that is off.

2. Around the headlight fender (toward the outside of the model) I am getting a weird crease in the model. This is not happening with the guy on the tutorial. After messing with the vertices a bit I thought I would bring it here before I destroy my model.

3. Random: My model seems to be very dark in places in edit mode. Is this because of my world settings?

New to 3D so these may seem basic but I have to start somewhere!

Please include images and/or a blend file of the problem. If a picture speaks 1000 words a file speaks much more.

Looks like I missed the blend

The normals are inverted. select, ctrl+N

And there’s an n-gon which creates a pole with subdivision, that redirects the face flow, creating a slight bump. But otherwise not sure what you’re talking about

3.* Select all in edit mode > T Panel > Shading/UVs > Normals: Recalculate.

Also I find it useful to have Backface culling enabled in the viewport, this is more of a personal preference but it does give you quick visuals on the state of the normal directions in your scene. N panel > Shading: Backface Culling.

Thank you all!

I should have thought about the normals. I find that as I am learning new mesh modeling techniques, I get obsessed with the look and forget to check trivial things like normal directions.

Thank you so much
Until the next issue…