Beginner - Help in modeling a flashlight handle

Hello guys ,

I’m learning to modelling , to pratice i use object around me and try to replicate them .

So i’m trying to model this flashlight but i’m having trouble make handle because of the flat surface next to a curve surface , i did try boolean but the mesh got messy and shading looked ugly :

this is my model right now :

So can anyone guid how i shall achieve this ?

P.s sorry for english , not native.

Thanks to everyone !

you could make a profile then use the spin tool !

for top part do a Knurled surface

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=blender%202.5%20knurled%20nut&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=blender%202.5%20knurled%20nut&sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&mid=9E136CEDB782136C7FAE9E136CEDB782136C7FA

happy bl

If you’re using subdivision surfaces, might want to have this kind of face flow so that there are edge loops supporting each hard edge

Here’s one way of making that. The video is a bit long because I slowed down a bit and I didn’t use shortcuts for everything so that it might be easier to follow

0:35 scaling edges, I set normal transform orientation with individual origins pivot so each can be scaled. I’m scaling it with S, Y, Y which scales along normal Y.

1:01 adding edge loops on each side. I’m doing that, or at least trying to, with outset. First initiating inset with i, then changing mode to outset with o

2:08 selecting middle edges. I first selected all the small triangles, then ctrl+selected edge select mode which contracts selection to the middle edges, which I dissolved with X -> dissolve edges. Extra step really, could have just joined the triangles to quads by just pressing F, or by dissolving faces with X -> faces.

Thank you so much .
JA12
RickyBlender