Stairs

Kinda inspired by a scene i saw in an anime. The idea is to make the stairs look old and rusty, it will be in a confined underground city (Scrap city?) with lots of abandoned areas.

I plan on having some water falling on some of the stairs, some moss growing on the walls when i get to them, dust particles in the air and some flying insects. Basically a little ecosystem centered around the center light.

Everything is just a placeholder for now, most of it was done using the array modifier and an empty.

It’s kinda hard to give tips on this. Instead of Showing us the whole thing, show us the original section without the array. That way we can help you head in the direction you want.

Sure.

I’m currently doing the stairs and trying to learn how normal mapping works.

My advice would be to look as as much reference you can. Not just for the form but for how the different materials react to light, how dirt will build up in the crevices and how the metal will age with rust.

You should model simple geo (scaled cubes, spheres, and cylinders) and 'block-out’a scene that reflects the story you are trying to tell. That way it will give you rstair case more context. Which will help attract more people to your work to help you.

Normal mapping is a huge subject. There are pages and pages of technical jargon on the web. While it’s important to understand at least some of it, don’t get bogged down, it’s more important to understand the fundamentals in art then the finer points of normal mapping.

Thank you.
Currently, i am just baking the high poly meshes to the low poly ones.

I’m going to go though these tutorials when i get home:

Can you suggest anything else that i could add?

As for the art, the stairs will be an important piece in the underground scrap area since there are various sewers that will connect to the area at various levels. I’m thinking of adding some scrap makeshift catwalks and cables.

Some dangling plants might make a nice addition to the ecosystem, and blend together the stair levels a bit.