Graphics card crashing when render.

Hello.

This is another thread of the “graphics crashed and has recovered” error.

Can anyone tell me why the attached scene crashes when it reaches a certain number of samples? At least, can anyone try the scene and tell me if it crashes for them as well?

Please note render layers don’t help. In fact, I don’t remember them having ever helped, but that’s a rant for another day. Right now I just wish to know if this is crashing for anyone else.

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=45671

i5 2.8GHz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT635M

On progressive it takes about 30 AA cycles before it crashes, on tiled it gets halfway to tile 2 or 3 and bye bye.

I have rendered much more complex scenes before (1mio+ faces, sculped to 3rd or 4th subdivision…), so why is this one so special? It is extremely frustrating that a scene which was made deliberately simple to test out light for filmic color space keeps crashing every single time before it reaches a quality I can do anything with.

You had max 16 bounces with glossy and diffuse set to 16, combined with reflective caustics, otherwise heavy materials (translucency), very bright surfaces carrying lots of energy, and progressive refine. My PC almost choked at 1 diffuse bounce when on progressive, so I’m just guessing its just too much. I didn’t try, but I’m sure I would get the familiar timeout crash if I did. I certainly don’t see the point of using reflective caustics when only doing 240 samples.

I noticed the sun was very weak and no look set in color management, although unrelated to crash. Also, I don’t think I would do floor lamp with a shade to that level of realism, and instead I’d just use an emitter on the shade part instead, faking any translucent shadows from the inside.

I set look to low contrast, sun to strength 100, turned off caustics, kept 240 samples, rendered at 25% resolution, and rendered tiled with reduced size of 24x18 (was 240x180) without it crashing on me. Sorry, but that was all I had time for.