Windows 10 "Game Mode"

Had read about an upcoming Windows 10 “Game Mode” which sounds like it gives increased priority to a single application and cuts down on other background processes for faster game performance and wondered if anyone knew if Blender was going to try, if at all possible, to harness this for faster sim and render times?

RevDr

Or you could simply close any application running in background and give Blender in the task manager a priority above normal. Or just use a Linux.
Sorry, but until proven to work fine, i don’t trust this Micro$oft marketing talk.

it seams to be allready in my win 10, dont know perhaps i joined a beta program.
you can record video from screen, as for games i assume if people write them properly the are allready running high priority, if not you can change it trough taskmanager . on side note win 10 allready cuts down on background processes.

There’s not that much total performance to be gained from a “game mode”. If for example background tasks take 5% on average, you’d get a 5% speedup at best. That’s not such a big deal to justify using more of all these horrible operating system APIs.

What’s important for games is that none of these tasks create latency spikes, causing the game to drop frames. That’s why this is called “game mode”, not “single application mode” (or similar).

Also, since it’s exclusive to Windows 10, it may only work inside the UWP platform/jail, which Blender probably will never support.

I haven’t come across a single article which doesn’t mention the fact that it works on Win32 apps as well

If it silences all the notifications and auto updates/reboots, I’ll keep it on all the time.

I have just tested this with Windows 10 Creators Update (early adopter) and Blender 2.78c. Alas, Windows Key - G and setting Blender to a “Game” using Game Mode does not materially impact the Cycles GPU render performance:

My test machine was freshly booted, so perhaps if you have a crap load of software running it might have a larger impact.

Attachments