Hard light shading

Hello everyone. I’m new at blender and I’m trying to make 2d look character. Modeling is done and now I’m trying to set up shadows and lighting right. I’ve seen GDC Guilty Gear Xrd video about key factors between 2d and 3d and I’m noticed one interesting thing. When light reaches specific angle there are entire area of faces which instantly becomes shaded or not. How can I achieve this in blender?

Hey.
I am not especially familiar with what you are trying to achieve, but the hard light can easily be done in Blender with a sun lamp; the video’s rendering engine is something more like Freestyle than Cycles or Blender Internal. I have worked in freestyle only once so I can’t give you a good reference point, but as far as I’ve seen that is pretty much what you need. Freestyle is already in Blender too. I’m sure it is.

Maybe this gets you started: http://www.minimaexpresion.es/en/cycles-toon-shading-tutorial-use-cycles-and-blender-compositor-to-create-comic-style-renders/

Yeah, but I’m also asked about another thing. In that video there was something like areas of instant shading (Picture below)
How it can be achieved in blender?