WM Terrain

Hi guys,

I am working in some terrain shots using World Machine and Blender. I am getting some inspiration from some artists for these designs, but the problem that I am getting is that my renders always look too flat. I am using 1-2 million of poligons and normal maps, so the problem shouldn’t be there I think. Probably is the shading (I am using basically diffuse shaders) and/or the lighting.

Example:

This is a reference of what I would like to get. This is done with Cinema4D and Octane. I think the textures are even more simple than the ones that I am making (I am trying of use real rock textures to give it a more detailed feeling but I don’t know if that’s the best idea), and in general the feeling is much better. I know it has a good amount of postpro, and I can improve mine in the same way, but I would like to get a better result directly from the render.

Any tip?

Thanks!

I dont think that it looks too flat, if anything its too complex xompared to the ref img.
Try using a bump map and/or microdisplacements. those sould help create a realistic scene.
keep up the good work…