Snapping with custom Transform Orientation

I have created a custom Transform Orientation that is aligned to the downward slope of a ramp.

Is it possible to transform an element down along the custom orientation and have it snap at the intersection of another element? Like the base of the object in my screen grab? (below)

Attachments

Why don’t you just try it?

Extrude two new faces/edges along the normal and then delete the middle face and try snapping the edges together using edge snap.

Interesting- this is far simpler in CAD programs for sure. Of course you can edge slide without clamping hitting Alt G then hit Alt again or C
At least that might help you slide along edges by projecting them- similar to extending a surface in CAD.

The TinyCAD addon in Blender achieved what you want - extend edges to meet a face- but it doesnt work in the fluid way that a snappable edge slide without clamping could achieve. http://zeffii.github.io/mesh_tiny_cad/

The Intersection addon might be helpful to you as well: http://airplanes3d.net/scripts-253_e.xml

Of course I could be misunderstanding Blender snapping capability- so it would be great to learn that we have the capability you describe. above

maybe faster to over extrude and knife project equal z edge of bottom of bottom step

I’m not sure what you mean Anthony. Do you mean as what is shown in my screen grab below?

At some point I don’t think the edges are going to snap at the exact intersection of the slope and the base of the geometry.

Attachments

How do you edge slide without clamping? Is ALT G a Blender shortcut? (Nothing seems to happen for me?)

I’m familiar with selecting an edge, hitting G, then G again to make it slide but that’s not what you mean right? That might be ‘clamping’?

Interesting when you hit C though - I get a pale yellow line down the custom orientation. I also hit E by mistake and got a bright yellow line down the same axis but I’m not familiar with what was happening.

I’ll check out the add ons Parel.

I also often have this kind of trouble and I wonder why there is not a way to do that simple thing… one of the blender mystery like the abiliit’y to snap while you are using the slide function

I had a quick read of Knife Project in the manual. I extruded out a plane from the base of my model, selected it, hit P to seperate it.

I selected both objects, when into edit mode but got an interesting result when hitting Knife Project. Probably understandable considering the multiple planes in the cutting object?

Attachments

Ah! I got you. I went into edge slide (G+G for me) then holding ALT or hitting C allowed me to slide the edge beyond its current position.

Nice one.

But as you say, it allows me to slide the edge beyond the base after which I would need to slice off the extra.

The intersection add-on looks interesting too parel.

Found some interesting info in one of your links parel - there are some Intersect options in the Faces menu that got me a result (see screen grab)

EDIT:
Looks like TinyCAD is included in the 2.78 add-ons too!

Attachments

Yes- We have been going down some of the same rabbit holes- Self intersect option does help somewhat- I keep thinking there should be a simpler way to do this given Blender capabilities !

I found and enabled the TinyCAD add-on in the Blender add-ons.

A bit of research helped me find it in the Specials menu (W) at the top.

Although not a dynamic alignment option, TinyCAD generates geometry that you can snap to, then delete.

Attachments